Wetsuit too big

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

costi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Since I decided not to dive wet this winter, I needed something to keep myself occupied......so I've been working out, riding stationary bike, weights, stretching, and changing diet to the tune of 24 pounds to date.
Feeling great at 182 but have a question concerning my wetsuit. My main suit is a 7mm farmer john....which is fitting a bit loose but since I haven't been in the water with it I'm not sure if it is going to be a problem......maybe it's time to sit in the whirlpool with it.
I tried on my hardly used 3 mil shortie the other night that I outgrew 15 years ago and noticed that it actually fit under my 7mil farmer john quite nicely.
My question is....is this doable, wearing a 3mil underneath? It seems as though I heard once that one should wear the thickest insulation closest to the skin which is the reverse of what I would be doing.
Thanks for the input.....bob

Costi, as long as you don't mind using a little extra weight and having your range of motion reduced just a tad, then go for it, 17mm around the upper body should keep you quite toasty :D Coming from someone who always seems to be dieting and fighting a losing battle, I commend you for getting healthy and losing the weight. Treat yourself and buy new suit for the new physique, but hold on to the old one just in case you start packing on the lbs again (like I always do...grrrrr!!!!!) :14:

Thanks for the input..and the attaboy. Lotta work losing the weight....sure went on easy! I've had my ups and downs so to speak through the years..as I will again. I'll enjoy it while it is here and curse it when its gone! P.s. Dieting doesn't work for me either...needed to change my eating habits and exercise.
New suit has crossed my mind....need to wait for the right "moment".
Bob

Great work on the 24 pounds, I know where 6 of them went :(

Put that shortie in a mesh bag in the whirlpool and add enough weight to just make it sink. Then you can decide how appealing it is. Otherwise wise layering is a good thing. Be sure to rinse the shortie well aterwards to remove any chlorine if that's what you run in a whirlpool. Doing the test in a lined trash can would work too.

Pete

Congrads on the weight loss! As fro layering the wetsuits, yes you can do whatever makes you feel most comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom