Newbie's setup now complete...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJP

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
So here's what I've managed to amass since getting started recently...

Reg: Aqua Lung Legend LX
Alternate: Airsource 2
Computer: Suunto Cobra, w/SK7 compass and QR
BC: SeaQuest Balance
Wetsuit: Xcel Vortex 3/4/5, plus 1mm hooded vest
Dry: Bare Trilam Tech Dry, hard boots, dry hood, CT200 undies
Mask: TUSA Visualator
Fins: TUSA Tri-Ex
Boots: Deep See

Told my wife that as a mid-life crisis scuba diving would be cheaper than a new Porsche - perhaps I was wrong?

Congratulations on the gear and welcome to the sport, it is adictive.

That's not much of a suit for New Jersy diving, better go shopping!

Do you have your eye on any cylinders?

I can't say I''m partial to inflator / alternate combos but they can get the job done. Be sure to review your methods with any buddy diving a dedicated alternate and vice-versa.

Now keep that gear wet so you can get to 16-50 logged dives!

Pete

spectrum:
That's not much of a suit for New Jersy diving, better go shopping!

The Xcel wet suit isn't, but the Bare dry suit with polarwear undergarments should do the trick, no?

:11doh:

Maybe AOW = "Always Open Wallet"

Geez, I can't believe you would lie to your wife like that :wink: Porche would definitely be less expensive in the long run LOL! Don't forget you should also carry a back-up mask as well of plenty as spare parts to deal with any equipment malfunctions--better get that wallet out! You'll probably end up taking the wife to somewhere with a beach at some point so get yourself a 3mm suit and booties too :biggrin: A nice lightweight bc would be great for travelling to warm water destinations LOL! Sorry, couldn't resist! Congratulations on getting geared up!
Ber :lilbunny:

What part of Jersey are you from? We live in Burlington County.:D

RJP3,

You got 15 dives and already you have more stuff then some instructors & DMs I know LOL!

I don't think it's too late to forget bout diving and get a Posh instead... much cheaper.

SangP

RJP3 im in the same boat as you (except no wife, or no mid-life crisis, not yet anyway) and loving it, now if I could just get off of work to try out the new equipment...... Good luck with the new hobby.

RJP3:
The Xcel wet suit isn't, but the Bare dry suit with polarwear undergarments should do the trick, no?

:11doh:

Maybe AOW = "Always Open Wallet"

Congrats on the new gear and welcome! As for the Dry suit undies keeping you warm, that's a very personal issue. Some will say the Bare CT200 is good for them down to 40 degrees and they are toasty and maybe they are. I think it's crap personally. I live in NYC and dive around here all the time and have owned a Bare CT200 and sold it because I was always cold. It really doesn't matter how much undies I put on or layer, I am always cold, even with my meduim build. Dry gloves would probably help. Most say they will. I think toasty is a word dry divers use after the dive when trying to impress the wetsuit divers. I feel as cold in my dry suit as I did in my wetsuit in the NE but the cold isn't as penetrating and I warm up AS SOON as I exit the water so that is really where the big dif. is felt.

All you can really do is try it and experiment but I do suggest adding a heavy expedition weight polypro piece under that CT200 and maybe alot more at the start of the diving season when temps are very cold at depth. Your undies are better suited for Cally diving IMHO but like I said, that is somewhat personal. Have fun and see ya at Dutch Springs or something!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom