Suunto Cobra

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wsj711

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone use the Suunto Cobra and if so are you happy with its performance

Yes and yes...only issues are the software...see the rants in other threads. But as a dive computer I cannot fault it.

I bought a Cobra, thought I'd love it, but it didn't take long to realize how much I didn't love a console computer. I was fortunate that my LDS allowed me to exchange it (with a hefty 15% restocking charge) for a wrist mounted computer.

wsj711:
Does anyone use the Suunto Cobra and if so are you happy with its performance
I have one, and I like it lots. I clip it to my chest so it's a glance away. What do you mean by performance? I like the screen interface--layout, easy to read. RGBM model. Nitrox. Simulation mode. Altitude and conservatism settings. Easy to connect/disconnect from the HP hose. Cool looks. Loooong battery life. PC dive log software displays nitrogen loads in tissues as the dive progresses. [Bad part of that is there's no Macintosh interface, so I had to buy a cheap PC to use it.] What'd I forget?

BigTuna:
.... PC dive log software displays nitrogen loads in tissues as the dive progresses. ... What'd I forget?

The PC software Calculates the tissue loading from the profile stored/downloaded from the cobra. The Cobra itself doesn't store ( or export) Any tissue data. That's not usualy *much* of a problem but it can have fairly large errors if you have a slow sample rate and a sawtooth profile.

I have had mine for about two years and love it. Its a great computer.

My wife and I purchased Cobras during our classroom and used them for 13 pool sessions and 19 dives in the Bahamas. I have the computer software and am customizing a logbook to store the dive profile print out in 8 1/2 x 5 format.
Attached to our BC's via retractable stainless steelcable clip works very well.
Our LDS recommends them and has had little problems, our was the first when during our trip my wife's would be fine above water but after 2 feet the tank pressure guage would go blank - as well as the dive time info. We added a standard guage to her first stage and got by fine. Once bavk on the boat the guage would read tank pressure but her dive profile was lacking.

We returned it for a brand new computer and are heading to Coz to test it in 3 weeks.

Not much to compare it to, but I like the interface and the management software.
It does record ascent warnings in excess of 33ft/min which seems extremely conservative.

Yeah. I've got one and I very much like it. I keep it attached to a retractor clipped onto the left side of my BC belt so I can pull it up and look at it and it quickly slides back, out of the way. I also use a Suunto Mosquito on my wrist as a backup. The only thing that would consider me to switch in the future is that it is pretty conservative, even on the least conservative setting. So I've sometimes had to surface before others in a group. Will be getting Nitrox certified this year so I will see how that changes things. Haven't had any problems with computer though and I really like the ergonomic design. Plus, I think it looks pretty cool.

Used one for over 70 dives...........

No complaints and the dive manager software is user friendly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom