I like WHISKEY, how about you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Alabama Point Jetties Dive Report 3-5-6

Met up with jwhitlock and a few guys from my LDS at Alabama Point to dive the jetties today. We hit the water around 1PM for a high tide at 2:30PM. Air temps were closing on 70F and we had clear skies and lots of sunlight. Water temps in the low-mid 60sF. Visibility was around 10-20'. We worked against a nearly slack incoming current from the inside of the pass heading towards the point and around it and heading back on the outside shallow-side of the jetties. We maxed out at 28' for a 67 min dive. Lots of schooling sheepshead were around. We also saw a few stone crabs, white bellied sandfish, a small flounder, a decent grouper and a few red drum.

Whiskey Wreck Dive Report/Update 3-5-6

After an SI of over an hour we hit the water again, this time behind Bahama Bob's in Gulf Shores, AL. jwhitlock and I decided to check up on the Whiskey Wreck since we hadn't heard anything new about its condition(previously dives found the wreck nearly completely under sand). Air temps and water temps were about the same. Visibility was a bit shorter at 5-15' and milky, which is plenty for this area. The Whiskey Wreck is sitting in 15-16' of water at this moment with 6'(yes, feet this time!) of relief off a sand bottom stretching over 100'. More of the wreck is visible at this time than before Ivan. Pinfish and grunts schooled around the wreck which also still contained quite a few blennies. We also spotted a few sheepshead. I maxed at 14' for a 53 minute dive. I'm truly happy to report this great shore dive is again a diving option!

Whiskey Wreck: Great dive!!!!! Its cool to be able to get to such a nice dive location from shore........I believe Ill be diving this location more often....The cool part about it is that it is a part of history , that nearly 100 years ago the ship ran a ground and the surf over came it and sunk it ......

The jetties were nice too .... I got a couple pictures of blowfish on the shallow side ( I hope it developes)....It was a great day over all , the air temp. and water temp. were nice and the seas were calm.....Jwhit

when do you guys plan to dive it agian? I'd love to see it....

If the I dont go to the spring this Sunday Ill probably be going .....High tide might be at night ..........Vis was still good after high tide so it might not matter when you dive it , you know how the gulf is... Ill give you a yell if I go........

HK182:
when do you guys plan to dive it agian? I'd love to see it....

I'll probably be diving it again on the 19th if the Gulf doesn't get kicked back up - taking a camera with me this time.

You can dive this site no matter what tidal period, currents generally aren't a problem and visibility will depend more the rest of the gulf(and weather over it) more than the tides.

jwhitlock:
If the I dont go to the spring this Sunday Ill probably be going .....High tide might be at night ..........Vis was still good after high tide so it might not matter when you dive it , you know how the gulf is... Ill give you a yell if I go........

Let me know, too. I'd like to finally get out on this wreck...The weather doesn't look too promising this weekend, though...

Sure Ill give you a PM if I go .......Ill know more about the weather closer to the weekend .......

Surf is rough at the moment, head-high and bigger in P'Cola. Hope the vis holds.

yup, weather looks pretty bad for the rest of today.....

SuPrBuGmAn:
Surf is rough at the moment, head-high and bigger in P'Cola. Hope the vis holds.

You know why the surf got so rough? I was thinking about diving the Whiskey. Yep happens all the time Mat!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom