weightbelt suspenders??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JKSteger

D/M Wannabee ! ! !
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I saw some Trident weightbelt suspenders and wanted to know if anyone used them. I have a terrible problem of my weightbelt slipping down during the dive. I suffer from the "noassatall" syndrome and if not for my crotch strap being over the weight belt it would probably fall off of my body.

I'm wanting to take the inexpensive route 1st before I buy the Diverite transweight 16.

Thanks,
Jeremy

JKSteger:
I saw some Trident weightbelt suspenders and wanted to know if anyone used them. I have a terrible problem of my weightbelt slipping down during the dive. I suffer from the "noassatall" syndrome and if not for my crotch strap being over the weight belt it would probably fall off of my body.

I'm wanting to take the inexpensive route 1st before I buy the Diverite transweight 16.

Thanks,
Jeremy
you really should not have a crotch strap cover the belt.goes against all safety pratices...I would rather loose the belt accidently ( in most instances)than not be able to get rid of it..the DUI harness is not expensive,around $90.retail..and it is a good comfortable choice.and is ditchable...I had someone almost drown because of the belt being covered by a strap that I had to assist to sty on surface..

I second the DUI Teight & Trim II. I have a pair of the add on suspenders and they would solve the problem but it's kludgey and you end up with 2 chest buckles that need to be accesible.

The DUI is a much more workable solution in the unlikely event that you need to ditch weights. For one thing you can ditch 50% at a time. Also since the pockets build outward all of the weight in on your sides and none is up on the back of your hips. Mine's loaded with the full 40 pounds and in the water I don't know it's there. Out of the water the 40 pounds carries nicely.

Depending on your trim situation the DUI harness will let you run the weights very low on your body which is great with my drysuit. An integrated rig won't let you dio that.

BTW Airplane II is my favorite picture of all time. I won;t say what my wife thinks of my taste in movies.

Pete

Actually many divers now wear the weightbelt under the crotch strap. Like many rules the weight belt dropping came from the pre-BC era. During that time, with no BC, dropping the belt was to aid swimming up to the surface and or staying on the surface--in an emergency or if fatigued. Now with BCs or wings with power inflators and often dry suits, dropping a belt is not especially useful and may be dangerous. N

The DUI harness system is what I've used the last 40 dives and it's great. As the previous posts state I concur all the way.

Sea ya!

Thanks,
I will forgoe the suspenders and pony up the $$$ for the DUI weight system.

Jeremy

Nemrod:
Actually many divers now wear the weightbelt under the crotch strap. Like many rules the weight belt dropping came from the pre-BC era. During that time, with no BC, dropping the belt was to aid swimming up to the surface and or staying on the surface--in an emergency or if fatigued. Now with BCs or wings with power inflators and often dry suits, dropping a belt is not especially useful and may be dangerous. N
many divers do it so its alright??the weightbelt dropping has been around for a reason..pre bc or after..what do you say to the diver who is overweighted and jumps in with air turned off?? Or forgot to connect his power inflator and forgot how to inf bc orally?he sinks to the bottom ,discovers the air is off and has no way to inflate anything..the diver caught on surface ,in current,choppy seas?? I am a diver who dove in the pre bc era and seen too many divers who needed to drop weight not do so either because they panic or can't because something covered belt..Very bad pratice,does not leave you an option or an out if the situation arises..anyone try that on my boat is told nicely to do it correctly or does not dive..its not considered a standard or safe pratice..

oly5050user:
many divers do it so its alright??the weightbelt dropping has been around for a reason..pre bc or after..what do you say to the diver who is overweighted and jumps in with air turned off?? Or forgot to connect his power inflator and forgot how to inf bc orally?he sinks to the bottom ,discovers the air is off and has no way to inflate anything..the diver caught on surface ,in current,choppy seas?? I am a diver who dove in the pre bc era and seen too many divers who needed to drop weight not do so either because they panic or can't because something covered belt..Very bad pratice,does not leave you an option or an out if the situation arises..anyone try that on my boat is told nicely to do it correctly or does not dive..its not considered a standard or safe pratice..

Good point. Lets not start any flames or anything. That was just the way I was shown how to wear my BP/W from a video I saw from G.I. As soon as I get my DUI harness in it won't be a problem!

Thanks,
Jeremy

I'll also chime in with a recommendation for the DUI W&T system. Keep in mind there are two models. Either one should suit your purpose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom