Any Mississippi divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flora

Reaction score
My boyfirend is at Camp Shelby, MS. He gets a vacation time and wants to go diving. Any good dives around Gulfport, or nearby towns?

Flora

Flora:
My boyfirend is at Camp Shelby, MS. He gets a vacation time and wants to go diving. Any good dives around Gulfport, or nearby towns?

Flora

There used to be some charters running out from Pascagoula out to the rigs, not sure if they are still operational after Katrina. Otherwise, maybe head to Gulf Shores/Orange Beach(AL) or the FL panhandle for springs and gulf diving.

Several MS Scubaboarders. Off the top of my head, Nuttz, eanxgirl, jlayman...

Flora:

Flora
Pity he was not there last year. I just left Camp Shelby, yet venture back for weekends only. No diving opps right now, I have to work the weekends when I am in town. Any idea how long he will be there? LDS in Hattiesburg are really non-exisitent since Katrina. Try Gary's dive shop in Orange Beach AL. MBT divers offers military discounts on rental.
Howard

I'm at Camp Shelby right now myself and trying to figure out some dive fun on Memorial Day weekend. I went to Gulfport last week to do some things and I saw all the debris washed up along the beach. Tragic. I imagine the offshore topography is also recovering as only the sea can rework it.

So the consensus is go to Alabama? I probably am unable to travel much farther from here than 100 miles or so. Looking for suggestions. Thanks!!!

cannon_guy:
I'm at Camp Shelby right now myself and trying to figure out some dive fun on Memorial Day weekend. I went to Gulfport last week to do some things and I saw all the debris washed up along the beach. Tragic. I imagine the offshore topography is also recovering as only the sea can rework it.

So the consensus is go to Alabama? I probably am unable to travel much farther from here than 100 miles or so. Looking for suggestions. Thanks!!!
Even before the hurricane, diving off the Gulfport shore was bad. You have the influence of silt from the Mississippi. You really stand a better chance of going to Orange beach. That trip will take you about an hour. Give Suprbugman a shout and he will let you in on some dive opps. Paulwall is from the NO area and could lend an opinion as well.
Howard

"To the rear of the piece, face the piece, FALL IN!"

I know that the guys at Deep South Scuba in Jackson are going to do some overnight trips off the cost to the rigs this summer. I think they are doing once a month until October. Sounds like a good trip, I hope to be on at least one.

Couple good ops in Gulf Shores/Orange Beach, AL and a couple of good shore dives there as well.

Thanks to all for the good advice. I looked at the soup off Gulfport and figured to find no joy there. Not really into oil rigs I guess, so Orange beach sounds good.

Hey Philmottrek, I trust that crew drill wasn't from any previous personal experience! We're keeping them in the box. Take care!

cannon_guy:
Thanks to all for the good advice. I looked at the soup off Gulfport and figured to find no joy there. Not really into oil rigs I guess, so Orange beach sounds good.

Hey Philmottrek, I trust that crew drill wasn't from any previous personal experience! We're keeping them in the box. Take care!
Unfortunantly it was. The reality and unreliabilty of a certain lot of time fuzes caused a premature detonation about 5 seconds out of the tube. No damage or injuries, but it made for a very long and interesting day!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom