I need a bag, Akona AKB144?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Empty V

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I need to buy a bag and I am thinking about the Akona AKB144. I found it new on ebay for $165, 13 hours left no bids. Free shipping too. What does everyone think of this product? I dont think the rollerbag I bought at costco is going to hold up for too much longer, plus I dont have anywhere to put my clothes now.
Billy

I my dad and I have an older Akona bags simular to this one and the only thing I don't like is the big Akona stitching on the front of the bag that advertises "FREE SCUBA GEAR" other than that its great I can get all my gear in + my wifes snorkle gear. The bag smashers have yet to break it, but I'm sure they will...

That's really not a special price... In fact it's the standard price on the bag. And your SB Discount would be less than the shipping - and if purchased through a store instead of EBay, there is a full warranty.

The Akona are pretty nice bags. I might be tempted to spend 20 more and get the Armor http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=ARMIronClad

It has metal zippers on the fin pockets as well as the main compartment, and it has rubber reinforcement on the corners. Just over all, seems a bit tougher. We have had a few Akona bags come back - they'll fix or replace them when they do... but I don't remember an Armor ever coming back... And they do have a lifetime warranty.

If I were you (and I was), I would check out the Triple-L Laguna (now Scuba-L). About half the price and great quality. I am nasty rough on all my dive stuff, but especially the travel bag, as I stuff everything other than clothes in it to bulging. This bag never let me down, and stays on its wheels no matter how much it is front loaded, and I have yet to see another travel dive bag that does that consistently (especially if you put the reg in the bag in the outside pocket).

http://www.scubal.com/content/index.php?proid=1001&catid=191&procatid=144

$74.99. I do not know how much shipping is. A Best Buy rating from the magazine.

PRODUCT DETAILS (from Scuba-L website)

Laguna is secure, easy transport for all your set of gear. Our “Best Buy” award winning bag features everything you need for trips of any length: durable heavy duty wheels, fully retractable handle, removable regulator bag and two exterior side-pockets for quick storage when you’re in a hurry. It promises to be the most versatile gear bag you have ever owned

Made of 840 Denier Nylon

Two quality heavy duty inline-skate wheels

Telescoping handle and hard bottom to retain shape while wheeling

The main PVC frame cargo compartment engulfs a full set of gear

Two comfortable carrying handles – one on top/one at bottom

Two exterior side-pockets for quick and easy storage

Carry-on regulator bag with two zippered compartments for accessories and/or other quick access items

Dimension: 75cm x 40cm x 30cm

I have it and am not thrilled with it. I agree the "free scuba gear" risk is there. My bigger issue with it is the depth of the main compartment. When I put a BCD (Atmos XT) in it fills most of it and actually is a challenge to get the rest of the gear in. If I were to do it again (and I am) I'd get something a bit deeper.

I have had the 144 for almost a year now, and have done a big Philippine Trip with it and also a Honduras trip with it. I always use the 'cover bag' with it, and it's starting to get really worn, but surely protects the bag! I lock it up good with TSA locks and have had no issues, I also somehow manage to pack all my clothes and other travel gear with it, it's a big bag and kinda a pain in the a_ _ sometimes, but it's worth it when you arrive at your destination!

I've heard good things about the Akona bags, but what I don't like about the AKB144 is the big pockets on the front of it.

The exterior pockets are supposedly for the regulator, but if you put it or anything else in it, with it being exterior, it'll get crused by any other baggage thrown on by the airline crews.

instead of having the external pockets, I'd rather have more room inside the main case area.

I also highly agree with not wanting the "steal me" logos on it.

I'm with Larry on this one. I have an Armor Iron Clad bag and love it. I've taken it on several cruise ships, airplanes, thrown it in the back of my truck for road trips. Been to the Caribbean a couple of times, Hawaii, Mexico, and it still looks just as good as when I bought it.

I bought the 144 last year and it's just the wrong size for today's airline rules. It'll carry 2 full kits of gear, but then it blows right by the airlines' 50 lbs. per bag rule, and for only carrying 1 kit, it's way too big.

I'm using 2 rolling duffels for our trip to Maui next week.

I got and used for 10 yrs an older style (green frog logo) 144 and all I can say about it is that it exceded my expectations in durability. It traveled all around the carribbean and local cattle boats, never failing.
It can pack 2 full sets of gear and it may serve another 10yrs easily.

I switched for a Pelican 1620 case due to my back getting a bit sore hauling the bag around with 2 gear sets (even 1 gear set is heavy enough), so now I roll my gear to and from the boat.

Akona bags will last for ever, but they leak in the trunk of the car, in my case it's not a problem since I use a truck and a wet bed isn't a problem at all.

Back
Top Bottom