Optical quality of Nikon 10.5 vs 14 mm lens?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have not tried both and no idea why the 14mm is more, maybe more glass? But I do know people are taking some incredible pictures with the 10.5. Here are a couple of my attempts.

Christian:
I have a question about WA-lenses for a digital Nikon SLR camera.
There's the Nikon 10.5 mm and the Nikon 14 mm.
Why is the 14 mm more expensive? Is there a difference in the quality of the lenses?
Has anyone tried both with a digital SLR and care to share their impressions?

cheers

/christian
The 14mm lens is designed for covering the full frame (36mmX24mm) image area with 114 degree of view. It's a huge lens with a lot of glasses, so it's expensive. Please check the link below for a review of this lens:

http://www.naturfotograf.com/14nikkor_review.html

The 10.5mm lens is a DX format fish-eye lens excellent for underwater photography use. Check the review listed below:

http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_fish.html

You can see mjh provided very good example of underwater photos taken with a 10.5mm lens.

Cheers,

Terry

oldpeanut:
The 14mm lens is designed for covering the full frame (36mmX24mm) image area with 114 degree of view. It's a huge lens with a lot of glasses, so it's expensive. Please check the link below for a review of this lens:

http://www.naturfotograf.com/14nikkor_review.html

The 10.5mm lens is a DX format fish-eye lens excellent for underwater photography use. Check the review listed below:

http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_fish.html

You can see mjh provided very good example of underwater photos taken with a 10.5mm lens.

Cheers,

Terry

Thank's for the links. Have you tried the 14 mm for underwater use?

cheers

/christian

Christian:
Thank's for the links. Have you tried the 14 mm for underwater use?

cheers

/christian
Frankly speaking, I don't own either the 14mm lens or the 10.5mm lens. I only have the experiences in Nikonos V with 15mm f/2.8 UW-Nikkor lens and Nikon F5 with 16mm f/2.8 AF-D Fish-Eye Nikkor lens. The fish-eye lens is really a great lens for underwater shooting if you use twin strobes and handle the strobes carefully.

Cheers,

Terry

Christian:
I have a question about WA-lenses for a digital Nikon SLR camera.
There's the Nikon 10.5 mm and the Nikon 14 mm.
Why is the 14 mm more expensive? Is there a difference in the quality of the lenses?
Has anyone tried both with a digital SLR and care to share their impressions?

cheers

/christian

There are several factors that contribute to the 14mm lens being close to three times the cost of the 10.5mm

First, it's a full frame coverage lens, vs. a DX lens.

It's also a Rectilinear lens rather than a fisheye.

It has an aperture ring which adds to the build cost.

The G lenses seem to range in build quality. While I'm sure that the 10.5mm has good build quality, the 14mm uses more ED glass, and less plastic material. Look at the difference in size and weight, the 14mm weights a hefty 1.5lbs compared to the 11 oz 10.5, so twice the weight = more metal, and more glass.

I've used the 14mm but not the 10.5mm, and neither UW. The fisheye effect is sometimes interesting, but in general is not a practical day to day lens. One can use software to create a rectilinear image from the 10.5mm lens, but the end result is a crop.

There are some websites that review the 10.5mm and show the crop factor if you are interested in seeing the end results. The 14mm is a 21mm (35eq) on a DX body, and the 10.5 is about a 16mm fisheye, not really all that similar, but more so if you use the software to create the rectilinear image.

The 14mm was designed to replace the very popular 20mm f2.8 on DX cameras. The 10.5mm was designed to replace the Nikon 16mm fisheye.

RonFrank:
There are several factors that contribute to the 14mm lens being close to three times the cost of the 10.5mm

First, it's a full frame coverage lens, vs. a DX lens.

It's also a Rectilinear lens rather than a fisheye.

It has an aperture ring which adds to the build cost.

The G lenses seem to range in build quality. While I'm sure that the 10.5mm has good build quality, the 14mm uses more ED glass, and less plastic material. Look at the difference in size and weight, the 14mm weights a hefty 1.5lbs compared to the 11 oz 10.5, so twice the weight = more metal, and more glass.

I've used the 14mm but not the 10.5mm, and neither UW. The fisheye effect is sometimes interesting, but in general is not a practical day to day lens. One can use software to create a rectilinear image from the 10.5mm lens, but the end result is a crop.

There are some websites that review the 10.5mm and show the crop factor if you are interested in seeing the end results. The 14mm is a 21mm (35eq) on a DX body, and the 10.5 is about a 16mm fisheye, not really all that similar, but more so if you use the software to create the rectilinear image.

The 14mm was designed to replace the very popular 20mm f2.8 on DX cameras. The 10.5mm was designed to replace the Nikon 16mm fisheye.

Thank's for all the info.

I'm looking for a "shark-lens" to use on a digital Nikon SLR for small to medium sized animals, so both could probably work. Do you think one of them is able to produce a sharper image than the other?

/christian

You may want to consider the Nikkor 12-24. This is the one I have been using as it gives some flexibility to adjust the focal length as the situation requires, but still has a wide enough angle for just about anything I want to do on the wide end. For these shark shots I was shooting close to the longer end of the 12-24mm (probably 24mm):

roatan-2006-02.jpg

roatan-2006-13sm.jpg

bbeards-04.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom