White Balance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gstroupe

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
In the on going search to understand UW Photography better, I am seeking feedback on ways you hardened veterans configure your DSLR's with respect to white balance. Is the best policy to set the white balance manually at depth by using a white slate or are there simpler ways to configure it?

thanks in advance.

You can carry a white card with you, or get something like what Amphibico makes (white balance and colour chart)

Amphibico White Balance and Colour Chart

But it is freakin' expensive. Personally, I do all my shooting in RAW mode so I don't bother. I set it after the fact using photoshop CS.

thanks Warren, I plan on shooting in RAW as well and will be making sure I have all the appropriate plugins for CS2.

Look @ the PADI dive slate for Underwater DIGITAL speciality It's a great slate it's white w/ RED, BLUE, GREEN, and YELLOW SPOTS on right side with grey and a focus grid on back side I think PADI nailed this one. I'am taking instructor training this weekend using these new training aids. looking forword to it. 5 DAYS YA-HOO :14: :14:

How do you compensate for white balance in Photoshop? I use Ps to enhance photos but never noticed a white template? Any info... Thanks

Banshee Ben:
How do you compensate for white balance in Photoshop? I use Ps to enhance photos but never noticed a white template? Any info... Thanks

You have to shoot in RAW to be able to do this. When you open a RAW file, the RAW converter automatically opens and you do WB adjustments (as well as exposure, shadows, etc.) before you fully open the file.

Dave

In setting the white balance, there is a tool that you use to click on a spot in the picture that is supposed to be white, or you can use the sliders to manually adjust.

Humm I'll have to look for that tool, and I thought RAW just ment shoot the picture naturally, I don't think my camera can save files as different formats, it's only a coolpix. Thanks.

Banshee - check your owner's manual. I shoot a Coolpix 8700 and it supports RAW.

Warren_L:
In setting the white balance, there is a tool that you use to click on a spot in the picture that is supposed to be white, or you can use the sliders to manually adjust.

I think Warren is talking about the white point/grey point/black point picker in the levels menu. This is a good way to adjust the white point in an image, but not quite the same as adjusting WB in the ACR tool in CS or CS2.

Back
Top Bottom