Finally got my BP.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ckharlan66

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I finally got my BP and wings and got to dive with it yesterday. I have been doing alot of training dives with JBD lately trying to progress on my trim and bouyancy, as well as, working on OOA drills with a long hose and other skills while being neutral and horizontal.

I have had to do alot of work with trim by moving my 104 up and down. These problems went away when I moved the weight to the BP. I still have to work on it some because if I go head down to look at something I have a hard time getting back to horizontal, but I am sure that with some adjustments to tank position and practice I will get that worked out quickly.

I have the SS plate and I dive with a single 104. I tried to swim it up from 35 feet and could without much difficultly. The great thing is now in fresh water I can dive with just the rig, no added weight.

While I was working on some drills I noticed how my trim was no longer something I had to fight with. While my trim wasn't bad before, it needed alot of improvement if I ever wanted to advance into more technical diving.

The frog kicks that I had been working on propelled me about twice as far with the new rig as they did with my old back inflation BC. This lead to me being able to have a much longer dive before I ran low on air.

I still believe that other BC's are fine to dive with, but I recommend that people give a serious consideration to the plate and wings before making up there mind.

The only thing that I missed about my old BC, and it wasn't anything that I won't get used to, is I liked being able to loosen the straps to take it off. However, I didn't miss having to keep tightening them during dive because when I donned the gear the tank was pulling down on the rig and I couldn't pull them tight enought until I was in the water and horizontal.

Chad

ckharlan66 once bubbled...
The only thing that I missed about my old BC, and it wasn't anything that I won't get used to, is I liked being able to loosen the straps to take it off.
Shane and I both thought about this yesterday as we jacketed out of our harnesses at the back of the boat... we can get into and out of our rigs with ease now... whereas when we first started with them it wasn't a pretty sight.

You will get the hang of it fast... and find it easier that loosening the straps on your BC or unclipping fastex buckles.

I switched to a BP/Wings this summer and besides the far more comfortable fit (compared to my old Oceanic Chute II) and end to shifting up and down throughout the dive, I noticed a definite difference when swimming into a current. I would have never believed that such a positive difference could be realized without personally experiencing it.

With regard to harness egress, I am just now perfecting a good system for getting out myself. I must have been an interesting sight myself on the first few attempts at getting loose, but I agree that once you get it down, it's no problem.

Thanks for the imput. I am sure that with a little practice it will be like everything else in my life in which I am already perfect. (no comments from the cheap seats please.)

Chad

Getting out of the harness and adhering to rule #6 takes a lot of practice.

So here's something we learned at DIR-F. Use your thumbs to hook the D-rings. Once hooked, you can slide the straps off your shoulders. Since the computer is on the right, I like to twist out of the left strap, then right. Nice on dry land, sucks on a rocking boat.

Ken

divernva, let me get this straight...

You hook both thumbs in the D-ring of the strap you want to remove and then slide it off, repeating this for the other strap, or do you put the left and right thumbs in their respective D-rings and slide out one arm at a time?

I have gotten into the habit of putting my hands back through the straps at the point close to where they go into the bottom of the plate slots and following this up with a little whirl and jig to get myself free. If there is a more elegant (read: cool) looking way to remove the straps I'm all for it!

After undoing the waist and crotch straps...

Just pull the shoulder straps off each side at the same time using the clipped off long hose (right strap) and the wing inflator hose (left strap)...
Then lean forward while twisting to the left and out comes your right arm... and as you continue to turn to the left you pull your left arm out and turning further you are now facing your bp and you are not only out but ready to deal with stowing your gear.

With practice you will be able to do this in one fluid motion and look oh so cool.

I always leave those firmly cinched onto my drysuit and wiggle out through the zipper after I get the shoulder straps off!!

Seriously though, after reading your last post, I have a clear idea about using the D-rings to get the straps off. This is an alternative to using the long hose and inflator hose like you suggested. Without actually trying it, I would guess that using the hoses is a bit easier because you could have your hands farther from your body (where they tend to work better) while you are getting out.

I will try both methods on my next two tank dive.

crab once bubbled...
I always leave those firmly cinched onto my drysuit and wiggle out through the zipper after I get the shoulder straps off!!

Using the hoses is doing the same thing... pulling on the d-rings... but as you say your arms are out further to the sides and it makes it easier to pull the shoulder straps all the way off...

Of course if you are too agressive with this you might find that the hose and bolt snap part company :D

Since I have a wrist dump and compass on my left forearm and only the diminutive Stinger on the right... I prefer to remove my right arm first... your preference may end up being different.

Sorry for the late post... Hook the respective D-ring (right thumb, right D-ring). Hoses are easier to grab, but seem a little more fragile / delicate. Either way will get the straps off the shoulder, and you should be home free.

I like the left because I generally don't wear my compass as I should so there's nothing on my forearm. My bulky Vytec takes up space on the right forearm.

If you watch the DIR III, GI3 dons the rig by picking the BP w/tank up and over his head... I tried once or twice, but the rig ended up resting on my head for a few seconds. Not comfortable, luckily I have the MC Pak. I was fast forewarding through the section, but I think he was referring to an underwater process.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom