Hoseless Transmitters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveGolfSki

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I guess a more accurate topic would be hoseless pressure guages or transmitters but ...

Justed wanted to know what sort of handling practices everyone uses with a wireless pressure transmitter (vytec, oceanic, etc.). One method would be to unscrew the transmitter off the HP port after a dive, replace the HP plug and store the transmitter in a safe place. This would require keeping track of those HP plugs, carrying a hex wrench and involving screwing and unscrewing off the 1st stage. Does anyone keep the transmitter on "permanently"?

My transmitter is "permanently" attached to the 1st stage (SmartTEC/MK25). I keep my regs in a pelican (hard) box when not in use.

Unless you need to switch the transmitter to another first stage just leave it on. If you are worried about battery life you could remove the battery, but I think these things will automatically switch themselves off if not subject to a pressurized first stage. You should already be pretty careful when you handle your first stage so just stop worrying about this little detai. You are more likely to do damage to your first stage by continually removing and reinstalling the transmitter than by leaving the whole thing alone.

Mark Vlahos

My Vytec stays on the first stage 24/7. I have over 400 dives on it and there has not been one issue. Batt is still fine. Never loses synch, etc. I've beat this thing against rocks, people have bounced hear off of it. I've dropped my reg bag, etc.

These things are pretty tough. I can't recommend the Vytec highly enough. Having pressure on the dashboard just makes sense.

---
Ken

Speaking of these, I have one for sale. It's an Air Z Nitrox with a brand new transmitter. PM me if you are interested.

No need to remove the transmitter from the 1st stage. Keep the regs in a good padded bag or hard case. The transmitter will probally take more of a beating than the wrist unit.

I keep my transmitter permanently attached to my reg first stage. However, when it is not in use, I keep the whole assembly well protected in a thoroughly padded reg bag.

Another vote for always on and stored in reg bag when not in use.

Hoseless transmitter

I also keep the transmitter attatched to my 1st stage, Ive had a few hundred dives on it with no problems, Air Z. But I still keep on analog gauge on my tech gear, just in case, but when I am diving within rec. limits I rely on the wireless system for better or worse

JUMBO

Back
Top Bottom