Best Diving Movies [Archive] - ScubaBoard - Scuba Diving Forum - Diving Social Network

View Full Version : Best Diving Movies

Sponsored Link
dflybldr
March 7th, 2006, 05:13 PM
Ok folks, I'm not kidding here. I'm really going through withdrawls between completing my OW dives and getting my next trip planned.

So, I need some suggestions of the best all time dive movies to get me through. I can only watch "Into the blue" so many times.

Thanks

PhotoTJ
March 7th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Jaws; Easy Come, Easy Go; Thunderball; Never Say Never Again; Men of Honor; The Deep; Deep Star Six; Open Water; Sharks Treasure; Aliens of the Deep; Raider From Beneath the Sea; The Life Aquatic; and Finding Nemo

That should keep you busy for a while.

gerardnealon
March 7th, 2006, 05:23 PM
How about, "The Cave"

Mr.X
March 7th, 2006, 05:36 PM
A favorite of mine is Beneath the 12-Mile Reef. This oldie features a young Robert Wagner as the "Greek" and a pixie blond Terry Moore as a "Conch". All this ribald action takes place in the Florida Keys. It's hard hat diving, a hokey Romeo and Juliet story all rolled into one.

In addition to an earnest amount of male bonding and fighting it features a classic scene of "pops" undergoing DCS treatment by being buried under a ton of ice. :05:

X - Film Cat Critic

p.s. I bought nine of these DVD's in the bargain video section of WALDMART

Tristessa
March 7th, 2006, 05:50 PM
"The Deep" is another classic

GDI
March 7th, 2006, 05:59 PM
Blue Water White death its a documentary type about Great Whites

daniel f aleman
March 7th, 2006, 06:00 PM
"The Abyss".

Also, there are plenty of PBS type dive programs that you can rent or buy, and, all the "Undersea Detective" type shows (Discovery Channel) are for sale. Check Amazon.

freediver
March 7th, 2006, 06:03 PM
The Big Blue

AaronR103
March 7th, 2006, 06:06 PM
Let's not forget 20000 Leagues Under the Sea. I wonder if you really can make a diving helmet out of a giant conch shell...

A

vox
March 7th, 2006, 06:06 PM
Sphere??

Dustin Hoffman, Sharon Stone...blah, blah.

Linky here:

http://imdb.com/title/tt0120184/

Paco
March 7th, 2006, 06:26 PM
Oh, come one... why don't we metin Open Water?????
(Not a troll)

Mr.X
March 7th, 2006, 06:47 PM
Sphere??

Dustin Hoffman, Sharon Stone...blah, blah.

Linky here:

http://imdb.com/title/tt0120184/

Sphere gets my vote as one of the worst, high budget dive films and scripts ever written. A close second would be the Deep Blue Sea starring Samuel L. Jackson (again).

X- Film Cat Critic

gerardnealon
March 7th, 2006, 06:57 PM
Also, "Deep Sea Detectives" I think its on the History Channel

Divmstr223
March 7th, 2006, 07:03 PM
The Big Blue....one of my favorite movies of all time...

Pyrofish
March 7th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Forbidden Depths on the Science Channel. I haven't seen part 1 yet, but part 2 was pretty good. They did some tank diving off Cuba, mostly deep submersible though.

Some interesting stuff on Amazon Abyss. Mostly rebreather diving, but they do some pretty good dark water diving. Film some new species while they're at it.

There's a guy on Spearboard that has great videos, but I don't know if he wants his link posted anywhere else. If you're interested go over to Spearboard and search for videos. You'll come up with his site with very little effort.
Jason

Edit: The spearboard vids, well, if you have an aversion to spearfishing, only click on the ones on the wrecks. He doesn't spear anything on the wrecks. If you don't have a spear fishing aversion, great stuff :D

Dive4air
March 7th, 2006, 07:15 PM
Have you seen Jessica Alba in a bikini? That's enough to make the stupid movie worth watching.:D

Mr.X
March 7th, 2006, 07:24 PM
I've compiled a list of suggested movies (not television) here in very loose order. Please feel free to modify:

Older movies

Beneath 12-Mile reef
The Frogmen
Raider From Beneath the Sea (1964)
Manfish - starring Jane Russell
Creature from the Black Lagoon
Jaws
Easy Come, Easy Go
Thunderball
Never Say Never Again
Blue Water, White Death
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
The Deep
Deep Star Six
Sharks Treasure (1975)

Newer movies

The Abyss
The Big Blue
Sphere
Zombie Holocaust
Open Water
Men of Honor
Aliens of the Deep
Deep Blue Sea
Finding Nemo
The Life Aquatic
Into The Blue
The Cave
Ocean Men (IMAX)

Foreign
The Dive (Norwegian or Swedish)

Video (not movie)
The Blue Planet

RockPile
March 7th, 2006, 07:53 PM
The Big Blue is easily the best and most thoughtful of all time.

Into the Blue, crap. But Alba's rear end is a plot line of it's own.

Here's one that's killing me: There is an IMAX called Ocean Men: Extreme Dive. It's a documentary about Ferreras and Pelizzari trying to get to 531 feet (one breath) in "No Limits" freediving. It's only been showing in Canada. I've been trying to get a copy of this movie forever. Even tried to find someplace showing it in the Midwest.

Link:
http://www.bigmoviezone.com/filmsearch/movies/?uniq=226

Anyone know where to find a copy or showing??? Please help.

P.S.- I heard that James Cameron is doing a moving about Ferreras.

Thanks,
JB

mnfsh
March 7th, 2006, 07:55 PM
Here's 2 more to add to the "moldy oldie" category,

Manfish
Underwater starring Jane Russell

both from the mid-fifties.

Bigger Al
March 7th, 2006, 08:06 PM
how about the Blue Planet 4 DVD set?

Alan

diverdiver
March 7th, 2006, 08:09 PM
Hands down my favorite....Creature from the Black Lagoon:)

Torgo
March 7th, 2006, 08:17 PM
Zombie Holocaust
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079788/

Half naked scuba chick v's zombie v's shark.

Diesel298
March 7th, 2006, 08:26 PM
hands down best
life aquatic
"sorry about that ya cought me with one foot off the merygo round tonight"

Mr.X
March 7th, 2006, 08:34 PM
Please see the revised list on page #2.

Just for fun there is a hokey submarine flick called Atragon. It's a Toho studios production (gave us Godzilla) and features some really corny submarine stuff. It is not diving related. Atragon is similiar in some ways to Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea except that Admiral Harrison Nelson is a Japanese guy with a moustache. Mr.X

kbrown4ou
March 7th, 2006, 08:44 PM
Two cool videos to help get through until "dive time" are at http://speleonet.typepad.com/speleonet/cave_diving/index.html
Look half way down the page for "Orange Grove to Challenge Sink" (Big! 285 MBytes). It's like a virtual cave-diving video with sound. Watch it full-screen. You will feel like you're there, guaranteed.
The other (big - 176 MBytes) video is toward the bottom of that page, called "Secrets of the Maya Underground." A documentary on diving cenotes in Mexico/Yucatan. It's not as high resolution, but still excellent.
Happy diving.

Laughing Swordfish
March 7th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Try and find a movie called 'The Dive'. I think it's Norwegian, but filmed in English or has a pretty good dubbing job. It's about a couple of commercial divers who get stuck in a bell several hundred feet down. Fairly realistic, although the bell is waaay too big inside. Very entertaining flick.

DivingCRNA
March 7th, 2006, 08:47 PM
OK, I hate to pee on the movie parade, but why not just go dive locally while planning the next trip????

This post comes from someone who just sweated his butt off in a 3 mm drysuit in a swimming pool to do the drysuit class. Just to dive in the cold, which is diving, after all!

ScubaTwo
March 7th, 2006, 09:07 PM
Their were divers in Jaws?

Nomad
March 7th, 2006, 09:11 PM
(Not a troll)

Ok, first I will admit that I haven't seen it, and don't plan to. But is it really a diving movie? I mean yes, the main characters are divers, but do we actually see them dive?

Is it REALLY a diving movie? Or is it actually a floating/drowning movie?

Just a thought.

RLarsen
March 7th, 2006, 09:16 PM
For a mix of tech diving and a lot of history check out Hitler's Lost Sub. The DVD and VHS tape is a Nova production based on the excellent book, Shadow Divers.
The quality of the diving footage is only so-so but it's real stuff and not Hollywood.
I got the dvd for $19.95.
Now, an obvious choice in the theater is Deep Sea 3D at your local IMAX.
Rex

AaronR103
March 7th, 2006, 09:23 PM
Their were divers in Jaws?

"You go in the cage, cage goes in the water. Shark's in the water. Our shark."
-Quinn

Remember, they blew it up with a scuba tank?

A

Cacia
March 7th, 2006, 09:26 PM
The Big Blue, hands down, The best!

Plungebob
March 7th, 2006, 09:39 PM
STOP!!!! Do not pre-judge this movie by it,s name. Do not rent it ..BUY it ! (ALIENS OF THE DEEP) it,s actually a documentary and it,s a stunning. I guarantee it will get your diving MOJO goin !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SharkDZ
March 7th, 2006, 09:47 PM
The Frogmen; a b&w classic featuring UDT ops in WW2.

Diesel298
March 7th, 2006, 10:03 PM
-Quinn

Remember, they blew it up with a scuba tank?

A
thats my favriote line...
espically the
"our shark"

Brandon
March 7th, 2006, 10:07 PM
(Not a troll)

Because it sucked?

-Brandon.

neonstingray
March 7th, 2006, 10:41 PM
The Abyss.

I can't believe only about 2 people mentioned it so far. i thougth everyone would say that one. Awesome action movie, regardless of the scuba diving.

And some little facts about the movie....

1. the rat does actually breathe that liquid, and survives. they got some of the real stuff for that scene.
2. when the movie came out, it set the record for most underwater footage in a movie
3. the cast and crew spent enough time underwater that they sometimes required deco stops
4. the helmets they used underwater were fully function, and custom made to clearly show the actors' faces

Austin

Mr.X
March 7th, 2006, 10:50 PM
Latest compliation. Please feel free to modify:

Older movies (not in chronological order)

Beneath 12-Mile reef
The Frogmen
Raider From Beneath the Sea (1964)
Manfish - starring Jane Russell
Creature from the Black Lagoon
Jaws
Easy Come, Easy Go
Thunderball
Never Say Never Again
Blue Water, White Death
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
The Deep
Deep Star Six
Sharks Treasure (1975)

Newer movies (not in chronological order)

The Abyss
The Big Blue
Sphere
Zombie Holocaust
Open Water
Men of Honor
Aliens of the Deep
Deep Blue Sea
Finding Nemo
The Life Aquatic
Into The Blue
The Cave
Ocean Men (IMAX)

Foreign
The Dive (Norwegian or Swedish)

Video (not movie)
The Blue Planet DVD series

AaronR103
March 7th, 2006, 11:11 PM
The Abyss.

I can't believe only about 2 people mentioned it so far. i thougth everyone would say that one. Awesome action movie, regardless of the scuba diving.

And some little facts about the movie....

1. the rat does actually breathe that liquid, and survives. they got some of the real stuff for that scene.
2. when the movie came out, it set the record for most underwater footage in a movie
3. the cast and crew spent enough time underwater that they sometimes required deco stops
4. the helmets they used underwater were fully function, and custom made to clearly show the actors' faces

Austin

Damn good movie. As a medical student I especially like the scene where he brings her back to life by slapping her repeatedly and screaming "Live!" I'll have to try that one day...

A

tlawler
March 7th, 2006, 11:36 PM
Both already mentioned, but my two favorites from the early days:

"Underwater!" with Jane Russell
"Frogmen" with Richard Widmark

I think "The Abyss" stands alone amongst a plethora of wannabes like "Deep Star Six" and "Sphere" that were all made about the same time. It's a shame "Sphere" wasn't more thoughtfully put together. Michael Chrichton is one of my favorite authors and the book was actually pretty good.

One that wasn't mentioned, but has a pretty good dive sequence is "After The Sunset" with Pierce Brosnan and Woody Harrelson. My wife rented it a couple nights ago and at first I thought it was pretty lame, but I perked up during the wreck diving scenes and had to skip back and watch that part again.

I haven't seen the video of the quest for the identity of the U-Who, but I did read "Shadow Divers" and thought it was great. Is the video an "Undersea Detectives" episode, or does it predate the series? "Undersea Detectives" is a pretty good show even though they rarely solve any mysteries, the underwater videography is first rate. John and Richie do keep you interested, even if they tend to get theatrical at times.

tlawler
March 7th, 2006, 11:45 PM
-Quinn

A

I love that part! What is the little ditty that he sings right after that? Goes something like: "Farewell and adieu to you fair ladies, farewell and adieu to you ladies of...

Jaws was the first movie I ever stood in a really long line to go see on opening day. Everyone I know had read the book that summer and the ads that hyped it...counting down the days until the movie opened. Man, that really brings back the memories.

Sponsored Link

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1