D70S Affordable Basic Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mdw

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I know this may seem a bit crazy but the only camera I have is a D70S and I want to know if there is an extreamly basic affordable housing available. I'm basically looking to be able to set it up with a wide angle prime lens on it with auto focus and use it as a point and shoot. Optimal for this housing being affordable, 23m/70' depth. With this setup all I really need is pressure reactive access to the shutter trigger. I finally convinced my wife to try diving (shes a bio teacher) and now she wants to start taking photos to use in her lessons.

Thanx,
MDW

Short answer, NO.

But then again it depends on your definition of "affordable"

Ikelite is about $1200, ports are a few hundred each, you'll need a strobe and a synch cord and a tray and a handle and an arm... plan a couple of grand to get wet.

You might consider a compact digital in a housing and then grabbing an INON wa lens (from about $330) - they can be removed underwater to allow a wide range of shooting on a single dive. And you'll have a backup camera. These are also smaller than a dslr setup for those hard to reach places and just generally easier to carry around - especially for a new diver!

Yeah I was hoping to stay under $1k. I'm just going to get a new smaller Point n Shoot (either a coolpix or canon powershot) and housing for that. Thanx for the help though.

Take a look at the Fantasea FD-70 housing. They have a simple housing for the D-70. Cost is under a grand including a "standard" port for the DX 18-70 (kit) lens. Nothing fancy but it does have controls for "most" camera controls. Room to expand, strobe housing, different ports. Leasure Pro and Helix has them listed for $899. Might be worth a look.
http://www.fantasea.com/product_details.asp?id=78

FD-702sides.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom