Coolpix S3?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Owney

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

Recently new to scuba, relatively competent photographer. I have an old minolta SLR that I shoot landscapes with, I'm looking at buying a Nikon coolpix S3 mainly b/c of the waterproof housing Nikon sells for it (and as my first point-and-shoot digital).

Looking for reviews, good or bad, about the S3 & if it is a good all-around simple digi.

Thanks!

I believe this is the same camera that Alex Mustard (excellent UW Photographer from the UK) bought for his kick around, back pocket out to the pub camera and for his uw models to use when posing.

I think he said you can put the new Magic Filters with it.

It has no manual controls so wouldn't be my first choice for a system as you won't really have much control over your images.

I'd look for a camera that allows you to change the white balance fairly easily and has complete manual control of your aperture and shutter. There are many in several brands that have underwater housings. Some current ones being discussed here are :
Canon A620
Olympus 350

Have a look around and ask away as you have questions!

Alex already has a massive collection of equipment. I think the S3 was something to keep in his shirt pocket.

As a primary camera, you can do better. The housing has no means of accepting any wide angle or macro lenses. While you can change white balance, you have to go into the menu. And then the camera lens zooms out (I have no idea why). In contrast, the Canon SD/Ixus cameras allow much faster changing of the white balance. The SD-series also don't give much manual control, but stilll better than the Nikon.

As far as branded housings- Ikelite's build is superior to the OEM Nikon or Canon products. The allow a little more room around the camera, so you can put a moisture muncher without any difficulty.

FYI Inon will soon have AD-mount adapters for the Canon WP-DC70 & WP-DC80. These are the housings for the SD500 & SD550 (I think, may need to double check the models).

If you want another "mostly auto" camera, consider the Sony DSC-P200 with the Ikelite housing. You'll have the same level of control as the other tiny cameras, including an easy-to-set white balance. Do not get a DSC-P150 because that model does not have manual white balance.

My advice is to go with a bigger camera like the Canon A620 or the S80. If you go with an A620, do NOT buy the Canon WP-DC90 housing. It does not take accessory lenses. Buy an Ikelite. As for the S80, the Canon WP-DC1 and the Ikelite housings will be able to use the Inon AD lens mount.

I will probably buy an S80. It's going to be used with a Magic-Filter and an Inon wide angle lens. I'll be able to blissfully take photos at 2 frames a second with no strobe. And it's going to be mounted below my Nikons w/ 15mm lens.

DesertEagle, I'm curious: have you considered the S70? I don't own a P&S for UW yet, but I'm considering the S70 over the S80...mainly because it has RAW capabilities. They're still available (between $270 & $365). Just curious.

I've considered the S70 and I think it's a fine camera. RAW is certainly nice to have, and it give you more room for editing should you make any mistakes. However, most digicams, the S70 included, have slow RAW write times. And you'll need to edit everything on a computer. So if you're traveling without a computer and want to go get some prints at the photo lab, too bad.

The S80 is much faster. I'm planning to use it as a regular camera and the focusing is much better. My other consideration is that I don't plan on using the camera with flash much. I'm really into the concept of the Magic Filter. Once you pre-calibrate the white balance, you're ready to go. On the S80 the JPEG write times are very fast. I could just as easily shoot 3-4 frames with exposure compensation.

Take a look at the various albums on this site. Aside from composition, the biggest mistakes beginners make is not knowing how to white balance. You will see lots of blue, blue, blue. At least on the Canon models the WB is very easy. Either the S70 or S80 will give you excellent WB control. It takes a few seconds and is easier than editing later.

My primary rig is a Nikonos V with a 15mm lens. I cannot praise that lens enough. I shoot Velvia slides and bracket my exposures. Out of 36 frames, I want 12 good ones and 3 outstanding images. Those become the posters on the wall in my office, which everyone calls "the aquarium."

Most of the S70 cameras for $300 are refurbished. I just checked and the S80 is selling for $430.

DesertEagle,

Interesting info. I'm also considering the Oly SP-350, but am very concerned about its battery life (2 AA's). Did you consider the SP-350?

I have a Sony DSC-W7 and love it. Have the Sony MPK-WA housing for it. It was my first point-and-shoot digital as well. You can see my pics in my profile. As far as batteries, rechargeable AA are, in my opinion, the way to go. That's what mine are. Can charge in 15 minutes, if I need them.

Hi rfield54,

I did consider the SP-350, and certainly would if I were using a strobe. With the proper bulkhead you can shoot just like the pros. And in that case, white balance wouldn't be as critical. I'd also venture to guess that if you have a strobe fired from the hot shoe, you won't be guzzling batteries so fast.

My biggest grip with the SP-350 is the menu system. Getting to white balance takes some time. Canons are much easier. However, Olympus does have one really great feature, in-camera editing. You can shoot RAW and convert to JPEG in-camera.

I'm going to try the S80 without a supplementary wide angle lens, since it has a 28mm native optic. If you were to go with the SP-350, E900 or the Sony, a wide angle optic would be a necessity.

Bennedc, you have some real keepers. Especially good considering the low visibility.

FWIW - I've just been working with two divers for a few weeks who each have a Canon. One has a camera with no manual controls, but with MWB and one has the lot.

We've been able to improve both people's shots tremendously with a combination of white balance and flash output (those little Canon's put out a ton of light and need to be reduced uw in some instances). For the manual shooter she said yesterday that changing the flash output was the second best thing we'd practiced (the first was getting off auto or program modes!)

So good, easy access to the flash might be a good thing, too - on the Canon it is in the same menu as the WB so it's very easy.

I am using a Coolpix S1, which is very similar to the S3 and has got the same housing, as far as i know. I can't say i am very satisfied with the housing, since it is not possible to just attach any additional lenses to it. As well, the housing doesn't seem to be ideal for the flash since it is hidden a bit behind the lense. The camera doesn't allow to play around with the settings as much as i would like to. Setting the Whitebalance is absolutely necessary but a bit complicated. Nevertheless, i had a lot of fun using it, because of the very small size of camera and housing. You won't get the best possible results but if set your own WB you will still get pictures worth showing. Here are a few i took last week. I haven't used any extras like strobes or magic filters and they are not edited with Photoshop.

312.JPG

81.JPG

76.JPG

133.JPG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom