which inexpensive-ish computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeremyl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am a newish rec. diver. Since I get to go on ~1trip/yr for about a week, and renting a computer is about $10-15/day most places I figure it might be worth grabbing one (esp since I have ~8days of diving in Bonaire coming up). So what would be the recommendation for something not too bank breaking.

I have been recommended:
1) Aries Atmos 1 Console (closeout $150)
2) Oceanic Versa Pro Air/Nitrox double guage ($300) (maybe 10% less for scubatoys/scubaboard discount

I get all the bells and whistles and can go nitrox one day by spending 2X. Worth it? Something better I should look at?

Thanks!
Jeremy

I like the versa-pro. Simple and easy to read, large display, few annoying bells and whistles. I have read reviews that say it uses a less-conservative algorithm. Some may see this as a bad thing, but since I have never heard of anyone getting bent on one (while ahearing to its calculations) and I highly doubt oceanic would sell a dangerous product, to me this just means more dive time.

A

Check out the Suunto's.

If you're not going to dowload your profiles and want something to cover air and EANx you might be happy with the "Gekko". Basic, easy to ready display and user replaceable battery.

'Slogger

I just bought the Versa-pro. Nice big display and it's so intuitive, I was setting my FO2 and changing the time within minutes of taking it out of the box. Then I read the instructions and found out just how easy it is. Nice computer for under $270.
Jason

Think about wrist mounted rather than a console, especially if you will be renting your other gear. It's also less expensive. Also, spend the extra $30 (or so) to move up the line for the brand you choose so that you get Nitrox capability. You may eventually want that.

For me, these requirements meant buying an Oceanic Veo 200. I think the Atmos 2 is identical to the Veo 200.

Thanks All. I was also recommended the Darwin Air Computer. For $100 more than the Versa Pro you get Air Integrated. Worth it?

I will only be renting the BC, and that will change one day. For me with camera and all console I think is a little better than wrist, unless I spend big bucks for a small wrist computer, which I cant justify.

I'd recommend wrist as well. You'll look at it more often and it's handier on ascent because you can dump air with your left hand and look at the comp on your right.

I'd also recommend the Atmos 2. I got my wife the Atmos 1 and traded it back in after about 15 dives for an Atmos 2. Atmos 1 is a bit too barebones...no light, audible alarms, and of course no Nitrox.

I'd say a Nitrox comp is much more important than an AI comp. Everyone should get Nitrox certified because it's just safer. You'll be there sooner than you think.

I'd snag an Atmos 2 wrist before they're gone. With the scubaboard discount, it's a sweet deal on a nice comp.

I have an Aeris Atmos 2, simple to use/nice display/Nitrox Capable/good bang for the buck. Has a user replacable battery as well. I wear mine on my wrist, but it also fits in a standard hockey puck style console, so you have both choices. Like someone said before, I think the Oceanic Veo and I think theres another brand/model that is basically the same computer. Hard to beat, especially for a week or two worth of diving a year, will give you everything you need and not break the bank.

I'd also recommend the Aeris Atmos 2. I just picked one up from ScubaToys. From my research, looks like a great computer at a great price.

Back
Top Bottom