New Diver Equipment Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cowley

Reaction score
Hello to everyone and thanks for the great info. First I apologize if this is a little long, but I have a few questions. I have read tons of information and opinions and am getting ready to lay down some hard earned cash. I live in the midwest, but make several trips a year to areas that have great diving. I've finished my open water and desire to have my own equipment, but feel somewhat uncomfortable with my inexperience making the decision without further info. I have tried the following during my pool dives and 1st open waters and used rental equipment on a recent trip to the Grenadines and found rental equipment lacking. Based on my geographical location I don't forsee venturing into the realm of extreme technical diving, but I have a great desire to further my experience as a recreational diver. My lds can get anything I want and is able to service about any brand. In talking to the owner, his staff of instructors and my experience during my training I have asked for a quote on the following. Finally, I'm asking for any other suggestions, comments and advice on the following and the price. I really want to support my lds and they double the labor on the manufacturers warranty, but don't want to get put over the preverbiable barrel because they're the only one in town.

Oceanic Probe LX BC
Oceanic XS II Complete Inflator
Oceanic Delta 4 Regulator
Oceanic Datamax Pro Plus 2 Compass & Dive Computer

Price after sales tax: $2010.00

Thanks for all of the info I've gleaned from this board and I look forward to some comments on my current selection of equipment and the price.

Cowley

Cowley:
Hello to everyone and thanks for the great info. First I apologize if this is a little long, but I have a few questions. I have read tons of information and opinions and am getting ready to lay down some hard earned cash. I live in the midwest, but make several trips a year to areas that have great diving. I've finished my open water and desire to have my own equipment, but feel somewhat uncomfortable with my inexperience making the decision without further info. I have tried the following during my pool dives and 1st open waters and used rental equipment on a recent trip to the Grenadines and found rental equipment lacking. Based on my geographical location I don't forsee venturing into the realm of extreme technical diving, but I have a great desire to further my experience as a recreational diver. My lds can get anything I want and is able to service about any brand. In talking to the owner, his staff of instructors and my experience during my training I have asked for a quote on the following. Finally, I'm asking for any other suggestions, comments and advice on the following and the price. I really want to support my lds and they double the labor on the manufacturers warranty, but don't want to get put over the preverbiable barrel because they're the only one in town.

Oceanic Probe LX BC
Oceanic XS II Complete Inflator
Oceanic Delta 4 Regulator
Oceanic Datamax Pro Plus 2 Compass & Dive Computer

Price before tax: $2010.00

Thanks for all of the info I've gleaned from this board and I look forward to some comments on my current selection of equipment and the price.

Cowley

I would consider giving Larry at ScubaToys a call. Tell him what you're looking at and see what he can do as far as similar or better equipment. Then you'll know for sure how your lds stacks up price wise.

I have three Datamax Pro Plus computers. I bought two from Lesiure Pro and one barely used off Ebay. I have had them for several years and they have worked well for me and my family members. I just replace the battery once a year myself and they never fail.

I personally passed on the compass and the quick diconnet as the compass makes the unit bulky and as long as the computer is bolted to my first stage I'm less likely to misplace it. Get a small compass and stick it in your BCD pocket when you need it. The screen is large and it works well for good recreational diving and light deco diving.

It would not be appropriate for deco diving with stage bottles and multiple gases but you're not going there anyway.

Remember that you can mix and match brands, you don't have to buy everything from one manufacturer. Personally, I'm a Zeagle fan and prefer their BCs to just about everything else on the market (haven't tried at BP/W), and their ability to grow with the diver is a huge plus in my book.

My husband has the DataMax Pro+2 with QD and compass and he loves it. I find it to be FAR too big of a brick for me, so I went with an Aeris AI, which is basically the same computer in a far smaller container. Still has the big numbers which is great, but is about 1/2 the size and bulk of the Oceanic. I also have the compass mounted on my computer, which I really like since when I'm navigating around I can also see my computer at the same time.

I definitely second the suggestion to speak with Larry at ScubaToys. Not only does he give an additional discount to ScubaBoard members, but he's great to get advice from about any gear choices you might have. My gut tells me that the price you've been quoted is rather on the high side.

Thanks for the replies. I called the suggested retailers and my local dive shop is within a couple hundred bucks on the price for the same equipment. You are right, I called Scuba Toys and had a great conversation with them...no high pressure sales tactics, just straight good info. I would recommend them highly. I do need correct my initial post the price I listed is with our local sales tax. The price before tax is $1800.00. Since the price is within a $180.00 I'm going to support my local lds. I have take your suggestions on being able to mix and match equipment brands seriously. The fact remains, I don't have the experience, the time, nor the opportunity to demo a lot of different equipment. Oceanic has a 30 day full return policy, if I don't like it I can return it for a full refund. For these reasons, I'm going to pay a few bucks more to support my local lds, have their great service and the ability to return the equipment if it doesn't meet my novice expectations.

Thanks again Jim and DiveMe for your input.

Britt

I think you'll be happy with the Delta 4. I've got the Delta 3 and just love it. I've used an older Probe BC and its not bad, but then I went to a Zeagle BC.

Jim Baldwin:
I personally passed on the compass and the quick diconnet as the compass makes the unit bulky and as long as the computer is bolted to my first stage I'm less likely to misplace it.

I find the quick disconnect option on the Pro Plus 2 convenient to download logs in the desktop PC without dragging the whole reg rig in the house. It also packs better in the reg bag (mine has a console pocket). The "Brick" (as its nickname implies) would be pretty hard to misplace IMHO. I have no opinion on compass placement. I have the mounted compass on my Pro Plus 2. Doesn't make a difference to me if its there, on my wrist, or hanging from a retractor clip.

Don't think you can go wrong on that list Cowley. Good luck and safe diving!

It sounds like you did your homework.

I agree that the small premium for buying locally is a good call.

I would suggest that you test that BC for fit in a pool or open water in youw wetsuit before laying your cash down. At the very least if this is the shop you trained at do a side by side fitting of what you trained in (and I asume fit well) and the new one. Wear a bulky sweatshirt to simulate your exposure protection.

The rest is solid no brainer stuff, you can debate it endlessly but what's the point. Getting you into your own gear is the single biggest step towards becoming a frequent competent, safe diver. Enjoy the toys.

Pete

Cowley:
Thanks for the replies. I called the suggested retailers and my local dive shop is within a couple hundred bucks on the price for the same equipment. You are right, I called Scuba Toys and had a great conversation with them...no high pressure sales tactics, just straight good info. I would recommend them highly. I do need correct my initial post the price I listed is with our local sales tax. The price before tax is $1800.00. Since the price is within a $180.00 I'm going to support my local lds. I have take your suggestions on being able to mix and match equipment brands seriously. The fact remains, I don't have the experience, the time, nor the opportunity to demo a lot of different equipment. Oceanic has a 30 day full return policy, if I don't like it I can return it for a full refund. For these reasons, I'm going to pay a few bucks more to support my local lds, have their great service and the ability to return the equipment if it doesn't meet my novice expectations.

Thanks again Jim and DiveMe for your input.

Britt

Don't worry what you buy now, because in a couple of years when the bug really bites...you get to do it all over again...:D

I have to agree 100% that for the $180 difference supporting your LDS is an excellent choice!! Don't you feel better about the package price now that you've comparison shopped??

If you don't want to do more research and are comfortable going with an all Oceanic package, go for it! Oceanic is a good company with a good reputation and you won't go wrong with any of the equipment you're looking at. Enjoy it!! :D

Back
Top Bottom