Bauer Compressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ffde31

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello all, I was wondering if there is a difference in filters or compressor styles used when filling scuba cylinders as opposed to scba cylinders (firefighting)? Cannot find a manual for our Bauer compressor, don't want to risk my life over an air fill. Someone mentioned that there is more moisture filtration on the scuba model. Any ideas anyone? Thanks.

ffde31:
Hello all, I was wondering if there is a difference in filters or compressor styles used when filling scubacylinders as opposed to scba cylinders (firefighting)? Cannot find a manual for our Bauer compressor, don't want to risk my life over an air fill. Someone mentioned that there is more moisture filtration on the scuba model. Any ideas anyone? Thanks.

Breathing Air Compressors that are used for Fire Service are often the same compressors that are used for SCUBA. The moisture removal/filtration elements differ based upon the intended service. Do you have a specific BAUER compressor model in mind?

With more specific information, I can better answer your question.

Chris
COVCI

Normally, a compressor like the Bauer Capitano will employ two coalescing separators and a final filter. The filter cartridge is classified as a type "Triplex" meaning three chemicals are present in the cartridge with the final product being "breathing air". The standards set for breathing air are the same for most users. The diving community and especially the military have their own ideas about air which is used with mixed gas or for use in freezing conditions. Different standards may be used. This should be of no concern to a small fire company. A fire company should be using the same air specified for air divers but I can't guarantee that your bureaucracy won't chime in through the National Fireman's Protective Association. The Bauer Capitano's PO Triplex will supply clean air for about 40- 80 cf tanks. If your compressor is larger than the Capitano it may employ one or more large filter towers. Again, these are designed to supply high volume breathing air meeting or exceeding standards observed in the US for normal use. This is called Grade E. To me, a fireman would be classified as "normal" (Grade E) for breathing air purposes. However, it would be prudent to check current NFPA requirements. WRT the compressor, it is only necessary to follow recommendations concerning turn over of the chemical cartridges, draining of the separators, oil changes, etc.
http://www.fillexpress.com/library/gasquality.shtml#intro

I wasn't able to find a Mod.# on the compressor itself, I was able to find numbers on the filter cannisters. I took a couple of pic's, hope you can help.

A Securis? That is a big freaking compressor with a humungous 55000 cf filter system. It is a factory setup and should produce air of excellent quality. Select filter cartridges per owners manual, breathing air.

I am not sure the type of filters that are in the cannisters. I do believe that they are for breathing air. The compressor is in use daily. Any ideas on filling a scuba bottle, the set-up is for SCBA bottles, what kind of adapter would I need?

you need a male CGA 346 to yoke, part no DV-346 at Compressed Air Specialties. This will fit any SCUBA tank with international (yoke) valve. However, you should ascertain that your compressor is compatible with CGA 346 or CGA 346/347. If is only designed for 347 (very high pressure-4500 psi) it may not work with the aforementioned adapter.
Pesky

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom