New Diver here - wanting advice on a full setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lightman

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there. First post :D I'm new to the sport of scubadiving and am finally ready to get some equipment. I'm looking at buying a bc, alt air, and regulator setup. I already have mask/snorkel/fins. The problem is the wide variety of styles/options/features and sifting through them all. I've tried to spend some time reading through internet forums and researching various features/specs, but wanted to get some expert advice. So far the only BC I've used is the scubapro classic plus which was what they had at my open water training sessions. As with getting into any sport, there is a wide range from entry level equipment up to high end. My philosophy has always been buy the good stuff right away so I don't find myself annoyed with the basic stuff wanting to upgrade a year later. I typically buy good stuff and keep it for years if I can help it, so budget is not really a concern for these items.

I'll tell you a little bit about me, the type of diving I will likely do, etc and hopefully that will help point you in the right direction. I travel frequently. Last month I was in st thomas/st maaten/bahamas, now tuesday I am heading to panama for a week. This summer I will be in the greek isles. Next year to cancun. Mostly vacation warm water diving, however I live in Cleveland, OH. I will have a boat this summer and have recently heard there are lots of ship wrecks and fun dive spots in lake erie (much to my surprise). I also spend a few weeks a year down in sarasota and ft lauderdale florida where I might dive. Sorry for the ramblings but basically I need a good all around bc/reg combo for mostly warm water dives and the occasional lake erie venture.

In looking at scubapro the mk25/s600 regulator combo looks very nice, however I've read recent posts from folks praising the mk17. I see they offer titanium versions as well of the 25/600. Is there really a benefit over the normal version? As far as regulators go, this is really as far as I've looked. I know nothing about the other brands.

BC's there seem to be so many choices... The Zeagle brigade Scubatoys has advertised on his site looks nice, the mares dragon at/bc both look nice, I really don't know. Hoping this can help you guys make suggestions for my size and diving. Maybe you could suggest a few different setups - Mid range, mid-high, and an ultimate cost no object setup? I'm most interested in high end, low maintenance, long life equipment. What would you put together to build the ultimate rig? :14: Thanks much in advance for any suggestions,

Dave

Hiya Dave! Welcome to Scubaboard. You'll find no shortage of opinions around here for the question you asked. :D Here's what I'd get for a good recreational gear set:

BC: Deep See Supply single tank rig
Reg: ATX200, ATX100, or ATX50
Computer: Suunto Cobra

___

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I participate in a few online forums related to other interests of mine, but am new to diving and just found scubaboard today. Looks like a great site.

I have a Dive Rite RG2500-ICE that I love. Lake Erie diving can be cold at least early in the season. I'm told the best time to dive is in August-October (we went out of Cleveland in May and visibility was 2-15 feet). If you're not going to focus on cold water diving you could get one of the regular Dive Rite regulators instead of the environmentally sealed cold-water ICE version. Personally I prefer a compact console with compass, they are more expensive but worth the extra cost. Even my husband with his bad eyesight can read the numbers on the Dive Rite gauges. I can't recommend a BC because I haven't found one I like yet.

There are a lot of Ohio/Michigan/Indiana divers around here, and the Great Lakes Wrecking Crew here on the board is having a Meet-n-Greet at Gilboa quarry April 28-30 and if you wanted to try out different kinds of gear that would be the place. Just let us know what you want to try and people will bring their extra stuff; I think some people are even bringing some stuff down to sell.

Welcome to the board, this is a great place to learn about anything scuba.
Ber :lilbunny:

Reg: Aqua Lung Legend LX Supreme ($550)
Alternate: Airsource 2 (inc w/BC)
BC: SeaQuest Balance ($500, including alt and knife)
Computer: Suunto Cobra, w/SK7 compass and QR ($750)
Wetsuit: Xcel Vortex 3/4/5, plus 1mm hooded vest ($300)
Hooded Vest: Deep See 1mm ($39)
Dry Suit: Bare Trilam Tech Dry, hard boots, dry hood, CT200 undies ($1500)
Mask: TUSA Visualator ($75)
Fins: TUSA Tri-Ex ($69)
Snorkle: Aqua Lung Impulse 3 ($49)
Boots: Deep See ($50)

Lightman,
Welcome to the Board. I have to Second what Ber said, you should come out to the Meet and Greet in April- great way to meet some new dive buddies, and learn some new dive tricks.

When it comes to my gear I feel the same way you do, get the good stuff from the start and save the need to upgrade in a couple of years.

For Regs that are good in cold water I like a lot of the SCUBA Pro line. I have a set of Mk18 G250s, I've used the Mk 25 S600 set up, and would definatly recomend that one especially if you are going to also use it in warm waters where you are doing longer dives, that second stage is a lot smaller and lighter. The Mk 17 is a new reg, I haven't had a chance to dive it yet, but from what I hear it is a good choice and works well in cold water. A nice thing to keep in mind about SCUBAPro is that they offer their parts replacement program, that as long as you get your reg serviced regularly the parts are free. That said, I recently got an APEX AXT 200 that I LOVE!!!

As for a BC, I have a Seaquest Libra which is the female version of their Balance Jacket. This is really a great BC and quite comfortable. What ever you go with let me recomend a couple of things- You want weight integrated, but be sure that it uses buckles and doesn't simply rely on velcro. Also make sure you have some metal D-rings to attach gear to. (The balance has all of these features)

For your alternate it is a bit of a personal decission if you want to go with an integrated air source or if you want to get an octo. Both have their pros and cons. If you go with the Balance and want to do the integrated air source the Seaquest Airsource is a nice set up. IF you go the octo route, I like the Mares Proton version, this reg is nice and compact.

For a computer I also like the Suunto Cobra, it is the air integrated version of the computer I have. It doesn't sound like you would go the cheap route, but dont' be tricked into getting an air computer, make sure you get one that is nitrox capable, because you will likely be going that direction.

I hope these suggestions are of some help. And hopefully Ber and I will see you at the Meet & Greet at Gilboa in a couple weeks. If nothing else be sure to pop into the Great Lakes Wrecking Crew Forum and say "Hi".

Polly

Your question is a good one with a billion answers. Asking what gear to buy is like asking people which woman to date or which car to buy or which house to buy or what job to take. It is highly personal and really---you are the expert. N

as an experienced diver I have this,
reg: mk5-bal/adj bought used ($100 tops ?)
bc: 70's scubapro bcp with air-2(hand me down)
guages: oceanic versa pro navcon (e-bay can't remember $)
mask,fins,dive bag: 1984 scubapro ($ traded labor)
thermal protection: everything from a speedo to a semidry (big $$$)
knife: amf swimaster with 7" blade (found on breakers reef)
accessories: lights, cameras, boat, etc.(major$$$)
having everything work: (amazing)

Hi Lightman, welcome to the board. I am in Buffalo and also love to dive Lake Erie.

Your going to get hundreds of suggestions on this subject. I'll make only one. Go with an environmentally sealed reg. If you decide to do any cold water diving you'll appreciate having it. Also, They are easy to keep clean. Your said you do a lot of traveling and you would be keen to dive the St. Lawerence if you ever get the chance. Some of the dives there can get a little deep. There are also hundreds of other deeper dives in other areas of the Great Lakes, and sometimes the water can be a little cold. A sealed reg is recommended in cold water.

You also said you would be doing saltwater diving. I occasionaly head down to Sarasota myself( going again in July)l. I enjoy diving Venice beach looking for fossilized shark teeth. Unfortunatly, as I'm sure you know, there is no sand on Venice beach, just ground seashell (which I find so odd as Siesta Key beach has got to be the nicest sand I have ever seen in my life). That stuff gets into every little nook and cranny of your gear. Having a sealed reg will prevent those tiny but very stong bits of shell from getting into your reg and lodging up against the spring. The seal will also keep the salt on the outside of the unit, making it easier to rinse and keep clean after diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom