Looking for water/sport sandals? Recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJP

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Something like these Merrells, that can get wet, sandy, rinsed, and then dry pretty quickly.

Thanks!

wolve141877_52237_jb.jpg

Talk about ugly...but oh so comfortable and great as a water shoe or going for a hike. I've had a pair of these for a couple of months and they are the go to for all around activity. The thing that sold me on this style is the closed toe that offers some added protection. They are also constructed very well, I don't think you could wear out the upper before smoothing the sole. I bought this style from stock at a local outdoor shop, but after looking at their website there may be some better alternatives for a water shoe/sandal.

Cowley

http://www.keenfootwear.com/men/newporth2.html

Keen sandals are the best for warm water dive boats. They are -- of course -- on the ugly side. But the toe covering is a must-have IMO when people are throwing tanks around on a pitching deck. Designed to be completely waterfriendly, including salt water. I have a pair of Newport's and a pair of Newport 2's.

Love my Keen's! I'm also a fan of the Chaco sandals, but really prefer the closed toe around boats/vehicles for all the reasons listed above.

The Keen sandals kinda suck in sand, because all the sand will get stuck down in the toe box, though.

I've used Salomon's Tech Amphibian (or the Pro model), and been pretty happy. If you want a lot of grip, and a shoe that you can basically run half a marathon after plunging into water... this might work. I like to be steady when carrying heavy stuff and Amph is basically a sneaker with sandal qualities. Easy to slip on and dries quickly. However, odor control could be better. Despite antibact protection, shoes need to be soaked quite often to remain buddy-friendly (I do a lot of muddy walks to sites though).

Plenty of places seem to sell the shoe, here's one link:

http://www2.llbean.com/product/41511.htm

my Keens hurt my feet, too rough on the inside. 100 dollars and i have never worn them, there are all these seams and bumps.

Catherine, I think that makes you a tenderfoot. :wink:

Mine have never bothered my feet, in fact yesterday afternoon someone (again!) banged a tank against my toe and the Keens took all the impact. The guy was shocked I wasn't screaming in pain, but no worries. They are really good around scuba stuff, and seriously that's a shame if they don't work for you. I haven't seen any other brand of sandals that also does toe protection...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom