Snorkling in Oahu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_RN

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Husband and I are headed to Oahu next week. We have two days of diving planned, but a third day with snorkling in Hanauma Bay planned out. Is the snorkling there worth it, or should we scrap that idea and dive a third day? (Even if we add a third day of diving, we will still have 24 hours between last dive and flight home).

I know, I know...diving vs. snorkling shouldn't even be a real question- but hubby isn't as hooked on diving as I am because he has never been on a reef dive before. (I would live in the water if I could).

Thanks!

Hanauma Bay is well worth the visit...Get there early(right when they open the gates in the morning) while the water is the least disturbed. It's a state park and if you get there after 10:AM you might not get in until 3:pM or so on a busy day. You can't park on the road(they love giving tickets in Hawaii) and you don't want to leave anything unattended there anyway!:wink: You have to pay to get in the gate and park, or you could look for one of the many tour buses that go there. The problem people have with the tours is a very long wait and bus trip, plus your on their schedule. If you don't have a car...get a cab and have them drop you off, they come back through frequent enough. Most likely there will be tons of people anyway. You could dive it, but have to go out pretty far for depths of 30-40ft and it would take more than one day to visit the whole reef in the bay anyway. It really is on of the best places in Oahu....or take the clime up diamond head, spend the day on Waikiki, head to Haleiwa and the north shore and check out "North shore adventures" shark cage boat dive(it's with a snorkel in the cage), or since there has been so much rain...one of the many waterfall hikes might be worth it, much more to do......but this is getting long.....and off topic:D

Aloha,
Bruke

If your Military....let the places you visit know many if not all give Military discounts...If not tell them your Kama'aina(native/live on the island). :)

hanauma bay has phenomenal sunrises. get there for than and beat the crowds. The turtles should be chowing down at that time too.
ps they love it over by witches' brew! hint hint

Back
Top Bottom