Suunto Gekko - Dive Download ????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CIBDiving

Contributor
Reaction score
How many have the Suunto Gekko? How many are tired of Suunto telling you you can't download profiles from a Gekko? Well You can! The data is in there the SDM just won't get it out.

Here's a program that enables the Gekko for downloading! The only change it makes is to fool the SDM into thinking it's talking to a Vyper. You can switch back and forth if it bothers you to have a AC/DC computer on you :wink:

http://home.gci.net/~liquidimagephoto/Other Free Stuff/Gekko2vyper.zip

Dude, that is awesome!

*Edit* -- Worked with my Gekko and my Suunto serial cable (using a USB/serial adapter).

rainman_02:
Dude, that is awesome!

*Edit* -- Worked with my Gekko and my Suunto serial cable (using a USB/serial adapter).

Thanks! Glad you liked it.
and Thanks for the feedback as to the interface used! it's greatly appriecated.

I'm not sure yet, but it looks like All or Most of the features of the Vyper are in the Gekko, Suunto has just disabled the use of them by prohibiting the setting of those features from the outside. For example, by direct memory writes, I can set the Gekko into "Gauge Mode", I can set a different sample time - all the options the vyper has. I don't know if they work, however, I borrowed this Gekko and I promised not to dive it, that way I didn't have to pay the rental.

One major difference between the Gekko and the vyper - once you download the data, the dive computer clears all profiles!!!! You only get one shot at it. I'm also not sure at this time if the 'streched' settings stay after the computers goes to sleep and you restart it.
It may be nessesary to run the download enabler each time you want a download.

I own a Gekko (backup) and Vytec (primary). I'll hopefully be diving this weekend, so if you have any more code that you want tested out, I'd be happy to put it in "Gauge" mode and throw it in my pocket on the dives.

*Edit* -- My Gekko still displays all the dives I downloaded to my PC in its built-in "logbook" feature.

RainMan if you go to the same download address
and instead get this file "Project1.exe" you can set the geko's mode and light time.

Don't worry about what does and doesn't work and you will have to play with the "comm delay" a little to get it to work, It's a much more primitive test program than the others.

It looks like it kicked into gauge mode. I don't think the light set routine will work...I didn't think the Gekko had a backlight. I know it has a phosphorescent display that you can charge with a dive light.

I'll dive this as soon as I can, and I'd be willing to do other testing, too.

Also, it stays in gauge mode even after it goes to "sleep." I'll see if it will stay in gauge mode after turning off completely, but I suspect it will.

I got in the water with it today, just for a nice snorkle around Tumon Bay, but I did find a 7' deep area to put the Gekko down on the sand. I left it there for a few minutes in the "gauge mode." It behaved just like it was in "air mode."

As in it supplied 'nodeco' times ect.? oh well, you can't have everything - I guess you'll just have to be happy with profiles out of it. I would like to try setting a different sample rate into one and see what happens.

Thanks for checking for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom