Hard Hat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bajashack

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have seen several divers jump in to the water wearing a helmet. Some of the guys have made custom lights to mount on top which have looked very convenient. Usually the light that is mounted is very small so that it doesn’t blind your buddy. The helmet looks like it’s some kinda hard hat. I am looking into this and if anyone has any recommendation or uses one please share what type of helmet you have, were you bought it, and what were your modifications.:D

Are you thinking of doing some cave diving in the UK?

bajashack:
I have seen several divers jump in to the water wearing a helmet. Some of the guys have made custom lights to mount on top which have looked very convenient. Usually the light that is mounted is very small so that it doesn’t blind your buddy. The helmet looks like it’s some kinda hard hat. I am looking into this and if anyone has any recommendation or uses one please share what type of helmet you have, were you bought it, and what were your modifications.:D

I suppose there are various ways you could go about it. Someone I know took an old cycling helmet and modified it to hold his greenforce light, miner's style. If you mount a light on the hat then you need to be able to tilt it so you can tilt the beam out of the way if you have to assist another diver. Otherwise you'll blind them.

I suppose just about any old helmet will work as long as it fits. A chin strap can be added if it doesn't have one. Remember gravity doesn't work the same under water.... :) Something else you have to keep in mind is that any styrofoam bits have to be removed. Styrofoam compresses enormously at depth and it doesn't spring back very well.

Diver0001:
If you mount a light on the hat then you need to be able to tilt it so you can tilt the beam out of the way if you have to assist another diver. Otherwise you'll blind them.

The top light or side mounted from what I have seen is usually a very small light and can be turned on and off somewhat easily.

Diver0001:
I suppose just about any old helmet will work as long as it fits. A chin strap can be added if it doesn't have one. Remember gravity doesn't work the same under water.... :) Something else you have to keep in mind is that any styrofoam bits have to be removed. Styrofoam compresses enormously at depth and it doesn't spring back very well.

I have looked at a few different helmets kayaking, snowboarding, just to name a few. however the material in many helmets do not look very promising.

I am not considering cave diving at the moment.

bajashack:
The top light or side mounted from what I have seen is usually a very small light and can be turned on and off somewhat easily.

I suppose it depends on the type of light you want to attach. The guy I was talking about before mounted a 50W halogen light to his hat. It's also his primary light so turning it off isn't really practical because then everything would be totally black.

In any event I think if you need to modify the hat to mount a light, make it tiltable. It's not that much extra effort and I can almost guarantee you that you'll eventually wish you had done it that way.

R..

Back
Top Bottom