Sharm or El Gouna

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cmt489

Contributor
Reaction score
I am headed to Egypt to dive in November. I had previously been advised to avoid Sharm and head to El Gouna. Now I am hearing from locals to go to Sharm instead. Only problem is that I don't know if these locals are more divers or resorters. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

From diving point of view - Sharm.
No question about it.
Both cities are more or less the same artificial ones - created for tourists.
I love Sharm.
Mania

Thanks for the response. Now the next issue - given the mixed reports I have heard from Sharm about the cattle car boats, the overcrowded dive sites and the insistence of one day at the local sites which, from my understanding, are not worth diving, can anyone recommend a reputable dive op that has the following criteria for my father and I:

1. uses its own jetty (ie from one of the hotels);
2. will not cattle car the dive (we are willing to pay more for a more personalized dive experience);
3. quality boats; and
4. willing to book dives more by request than pattern.

Thanks again!

Michelle

Non of the diving centres either Sharm or El Gouna ownes a jetty.
As for overcrowded boats - sometimes it's true sometimes not. Better is to go off season - then there is not so many tourists.
Local dives in Sharm - depends - some of them are beautiful (Temple, Far Garden, Middle Garden are my favourite).
As for your 4th question - well this maybe possible but for more money - as simple as that.
Mania

My understanding from the other posts is that some of the hotels own their own jetties allowing their dive operations to leave from a private jetty. Any ideas on this?

My girlfreind and I just got back from Egypt a few weeks ago. While we were there We stayed in Dahab which is just down the road from Sharm. First I have say the whole time we were in Egypt we never felt unsafe. As for Dahab the dives that I did were all shore dives, Which included the Blue hole, Canyon and the Bell. They were all great dives. The company I dove with was Red Divers and there was only two of us diving. I also liked their attitude to having a safe dive. During the set-up or surface interval I did notice that there were partys of around ten people, but was lucky enough to be diving when they were not in the water. The accomidations we had were fine also, It wasn't five star but we were there to experience the people and the county not stay as if we were at home. I would definetly stay there again, and probably will in the future.

mania:
Non of the diving centres either Sharm or El Gouna ownes a jetty.
As for overcrowded boats - sometimes it's true sometimes not. Better is to go off season - then there is not so many tourists.
Local dives in Sharm - depends - some of them are beautiful (Temple, Far Garden, Middle Garden are my favourite).
As for your 4th question - well this maybe possible but for more money - as simple as that.
Mania

I think that Umbarak's Sharks Bay does have his own jetty. Not really in Sharm, but pretty close. He operates a few boats ("Freedom" fleet) in different sizes- they may be flexible enough for small groups too.

I personally know some of the guides at Umbarak- Adel and Hassan - and they are among the best, and most experienced guides that one may find in the whole area. These guys have been around for something like 15 years, perhaps more! I think nobody knows the reefs better than them.

Can't comment on the quality of the boats, though, since I haven't been on one since 1999- a lot can change in six years. They used to be OK, and beeing a Nitrogen Junkie I spend most of the time underwater so I never pay too much attention on the boat itself- for me they are just a mere Taxi that takes me to where I have to jump into the water :D IMHO most boats in Egypt have pretty much similar standards.

True. Shark's Bay UMBI has its own jetty and it is inside Sharm, not pretty close. However, Shark's Bay is a very poor hotel, IMO. It is more like a motel.

Michelle, I agree with Mania. Sharm is much better than El Gouna. I have contacts of reputable dive operators there. PM me in case you're interested.

Michelle
In Sharm are three jetties. Shark's Bay - which is used by quite a few dive operators - lately it's the main jetty to go to Tiran. The second one was in fact the first one ever build in Sharm - and it's in Naama bay - close to the Hotel Lido.
The third one is the most common - Travco marina - and the most crowded.
But - to be honest with you - I love the atmosphere there - it smells horrible - all the fumes - but....
The waiting for your boat, sun, sea, people running, shouting of the captains - you really know you are on holiday and on your way to diving.
When I was in sharm last time (new year) my diving centre was using Shark's Bay which is a quite jetty and must tell you - I missed Travco with its craziness
Mania

If u're comparing between Sharm and El-Gouna, of course Sharm is THE ONE.
So far, only 3 jetties are permitted to be used as boat harbours (as Mania just said), though there're some discussions in the city council to allow the private jetties of the hotels to recieve boats, hopefully it is approved soon before the beginning of the high season.
If u're seeking a dive operator with "Quality Control & Less Dive Group & Special Request Dives" at the same time, i don't recommend u any of the big dive operators, where clients are just numebrs in their system .. i would recommend a smaller dive operator with more personlized service .. and YES, they're more expensive than the big ones.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom