Northern Diver X-Wing vs Halcyon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nl_carey

Reaction score
I've been looking heavily into getting my first rig. After using multiple rental BCDs, I've decided to go BP/Wings, though I want to set up a good singles rig before moving into doubles.
FredT and Bob3 have mentioned the X-wing as a decent alternative to the Halcyon wings, but are they streamlined enough to work well enough for singles?
I'd like to ask anyone who has experience with these wings to post. I'm just looking to see if I can try out a suitable alternative to the Halycon 27' I'm currently looking at getting.

This is an excellent question and I also would like to hear from some divers that have experience with the x-wing. I know that the center section does not have any mounting grommet holes in it. Are these tough to do accurately? Thanks.

I've been diving it off and on this usmmer, alternating with a Halcyon wing to determine if there are any reasons not to use it. A dive buddy has been diving one continuously off PCB, FL since last winter, including spearfishing and bug grubbing. I find it comparable ijn performance to the halcyon, but it uses a different "formula" to provide lift.

The Pioneer uses a single bag construction, with the protective shell and inflating air restraint being contained in a single sealed nylon shell. The X-wing uses a urethane bladder (repairable) contained in a covering shell of nylon. It should be possible to use the "inner tube liner" trick cavers use with the X-wing the same as the Dive Rite, but the X-wing was designed from the get-go for a single tank.

Bob3 or I have the dimensions to punch the web holes for mating up with my plates, but it can be done without them. This is done by finding the center of the wing support web (it's NOT on the seam!) and clamping the wing to the backplate centered up on the plate. Melt the top hole in the web with a short piece of heated 5/16" tubing through the plate hole and attach the wing to the plate with a bolt and washer or STA half. With the bottom of the wing still centered on the plate you can then melt the lower hole. Once the lowe hole is complete you can mount the lower STA. This wing pretty much requires using a STA. Melting the holes you seal the fabric and any stitching cut making the hole and make a plastic grommet to protect the holes in the wing. The first one I did took about 15 minutes, including figuring out were the "best fit" was and gathering the tools. It's easier to do with a heavy STA since there is only one alignment to do, but I went through the steps for doing it with a light one as well just to be sure.

Of course there is a bonus to the X-wing too. You'll save enough $ even with buying the STAs to get a good boat trip or two out of the deal when compared to a Halcyon wing.

FT

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom