importing a foreign species.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm afraid of the answer i will get here..

i have a russian tortoise that has been vet checked and is free from disease. I'm planning on moving to oahu in the very near future.

I know the rules are VERY strict about taking foreign species onto the islands but i dont know where the rules are less firm, let alone know exactly what they are. There is only one turtle, so reproduction is impossible. indoor pet (occasional walks on my ingenious turtle leash) Im expecting a quarantine for him but im worried that they wont let him there at all. hmmmmmmmmmmmm any help?

Check with the department of Agriculture. I know there have been people importing some type of turtles, supposedly legally. Not sure if they are on the actual restricted lists. I'm pretty sure all lizzards and snakes are, not sure about turtles and tortoises.

Here's a link to a prohibited list... turtles aren't on it, however there was an earlier page on the site this list was on that mentioned snapping turltes....

http://www.hawaiiag.org/hdoa/adminrules/AR-71P.pdf

the Department of AG should be able to help you. It's worth inquiring rather than facing the penalties if caught bringing in a prohibited animal.

Thanks, that was really informative. I wonder why there are no turtles or tortoises on that list....That makes my night.

I think I saw those here! you have a pic?

CUTE! How old is he? Will he get much bigger?

I think I saw a turtle that looked like that at the pet shop, but I can't say 100% for sure.

justleesa:
CUTE! How old is he? Will he get much bigger?

I think I saw a turtle that looked like that at the pet shop, but I can't say 100% for sure.

he is from 3-5. its hard to tell because i got him when he was full grown. he's got another 75-100 years left in him. im going to have to put him in my Will

That's as big as he gets. 8" along the length of the carapace. Females get slightly bigger. I opted for the compact. plenty of headroom, runs on solar power and vegetables, and gets great gas mileage. Im a travelling student so i needed something i could take with me easily.

I also ordered some radioactive ooze from mutationstation.com. hopefully he'll mutate and be able to feed himself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom