Lift capacity of a Pioneer Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LiveGoat

Reaction score
Just traded my 36lb Pioneer for a 27lb pioneer, but after putting it all together on my LP steel 95, I'm starting to wonder if this puppy's got enough lift. Anyone out there have a similar setup? I dive in NY so I wear a drysuit. I went with the 27 cause i THOUGHT IT WOULD BE MORE STREAMLINED (and I just accidently hit the caps button, sorry), my LDS owner who specializez in Halcyon tells me it'll work.

Uncle Pug, I was wondering what your opinion was since I seem to remember that you used a 27 with singles. Do you use al 80 or a 95 steel or both? Oh, also I use a steel Back plate. Thanks for any replies in advance.

---Ray

I have dove a 5mm wetsuit and a steel 98 several times and there is ample lift. I do not add any weight to that for fresh water, and about 5 pounds in salt. This is in addition to my SS backplate at six pounds, and a 1.5 pound STA. This was an OMS 98 that I think is neutrally buoyant.

To give you a little more info, I hate bringing this up, but one time I had 10 pounds on the belt, the SS bp, steel 98, and hopped in some fresh water. I had to flutter a little to keep the head above water.

Tommy

The 27 wing floats a full PST LP104 with stainless BP and pro4 canister light... barely.

Since I put the 6# channel weight on the plate it is negative with 1000 psi in the jug and the wing ovp valve sputtering.

Since you are diving dry it is no big deal... but... just be sure to hang onto the thing when you take it off at the back of the boat :D

BTW... the other day as Shane and I were scootering along by the infamous effluent pipeline.... I kept hearing this squawking sound... and I was thinking... uh oh... I hope that is not a bearing or seal going out... shortly I realized that my inflator was stuck open and the wing OPV was relieving the pressure... I reached back and sure enough... I had a full, firm wing... good thing it was at the beginning of the dive and I had a full tank too or I would have been on the surface!

I appreciate the response guys. I think I'm gonna be fine with the 27 as, from what you've told me, I don't dive with as much weight as you guys do (tankwise) and I dive dry. I'm gonna put it to the test on Sunday on the Jeanne II.

Thanks again,

---Ray

UP -

What are you doing diving overweight for the wing that your using (that's what I deduced from your post). I thought you set everything up as it should be - at least that's the impression I've got from all your ramblings about Trim!

Awaiting your response - Dave.

Actually the 6# channel weight was an experiment that works with a larger wing but needs to come of the plate with the #27 wing... and actually it is tonight because I am doing a boat dive tomorrow with Detroit Diver out to a sunk ferry and then to a nice reef... want to come? Awaiting your answer.

UP,

Anytime you feel like paying for a flight from Aus to USA then that's cool with me I'll dive almost anywhere (oh yeah you might also have to cover the cost of time off as I've no more holiday leave).

Alternatively come over at x-mass and we'll go and explore the caves at Mount Gambier. Planning on getting my cavern/sinkhole cert sometime in Oct/Nov and taking 2 weeks in Mt Gambier over x-mass.

Later - Dave.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom