Suunto PC Interface: USB vs. Serial?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pfriedel

Registered
Reaction score
Is there any particular reason (aside from the obvious case of not having a serial port) to buy the USB interface over the serial interface? The $30 price difference is too much to pass up if they both work with all versions of SDM and transfer at roughly the same speed. Thanks!

Charlie99:
The big disadvantage is that RS-232 / serial ports are no longer being included in many computers, particuarly notebooks. So you will probably have to use a USB-to-serial adaptor with your next computer.

Charlie Allen

In addition to the above, there is the convenience of Plug and Play which is kind of worth $30 to me.

crlavoie:
In addition to the above, there is the convenience of Plug and Play which is kind of worth $30 to me.

Yeah, that's about the extent that I'm torn by it - my serial port is behind my computer and hard to get to and yadda yadda, while I have a nice assortment of available USB ports on the front of my computer ready to use. I haven't been paying attention to whether Vista will finally, for once and for all, drop legacy port support or not, but XP is still fairly happy with serial access. Ooooh, decisions, decisions.

Packhorse:
In NZ I priced up both. Serial is $120NZ and USB is $285NZ ! thats a huge diffrence. a USB- serial adaptor is $30NZ.
I just made 3 home brew serial cables for less than $9NZ each!
how much is the US pricing

US pricing is USD$59.95 for the serial and USD$99 for the USB, generally. So there's a bit of a markup for the serial versus the US price, but the USB price is kind of shockingly high.

Back
Top Bottom