wristwatch question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spacemanspiff1974

Contributor
Reaction score
I have gone diving with three different watches, a 200 m resistant casio, my 200 m resistant tag heuer and my 100 m resistant brietling. Having decided not to dive with my brietling again due to the design of the chronograph push buttons, here is my question:

Is there some reason why it would be preferable to dive with a digital watch over a "normal" watch? I'm assuming that it really doesnt matter, but if any of you old salty dogs or DIR enthusiasts have an opinion, please let me know.

spacemanspiff1974:
Is there some reason why it would be preferable to dive with a digital watch over a "normal" watch? I'm assuming that it really doesnt matter, but if any of you old salty dogs or DIR enthusiasts have an opinion, please let me know.

I'm not salty, a dog, or DIR, but...

I find it a lot easier to push a button on a digital than to rotate a bezel on an analog. Especially w/ gloves on.

Salty dog here...I've always used an anolog watch, I'm just not a big fan of digital watches. Currently using a Seiko automatic 200M diver's watch.

Actually, I've noticed here of late that a lot of folks don't wear one at all, using their computers for all their information.

Personally, being a little "old school" I just like having my watch for a back up BT timer, just in case something would go wrong with the computer

spacemanspiff1974:
Is there some reason why it would be preferable to dive with a digital watch over a "normal" watch?

I use a watch to monitor dive time and to time stops, so I prefer digital as the information is presented more clearly (large numerals, seconds increments, etc.). Digital watches are also much cheaper (unless you are using a fancy TAG Heuer or Breitling "digital").

I have a Tag, but dive a Timex Ironman with a velcro strap. If I damaged the Tag or lost it on a dive, neither I nor my wife, who gave it to me, wouldn't be a happy camper. If I do the same to the $50 Timex, machts nichts. A nice digital display is easy to read and the backlight really comes in handy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom