Deep south closed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ArthurGerla

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
So here I am, already packing for the flight to Marsa Alam and due to board a boat in 48 hours, and now they tell me there's a safety crackdown going on and all safari ships have to undergo an immediate emergency inspection in dry dock to renew their license. Also, all dive sites beyond Elphinstone are out of bounds for the duration.

Can anyone shed some light on the situation down there?

TIA,

Art

Exactly where did you recieve this information?

/christian

ArthurGerla:
So here I am, already packing for the flight to Marsa Alam and due to board a boat in 48 hours, and now they tell me there's a safety crackdown going on and all safari ships have to undergo an immediate emergency inspection in dry dock to renew their license. Also, all dive sites beyond Elphinstone are out of bounds for the duration.

Can anyone shed some light on the situation down there?

TIA,

Art

From the owner of the liveaboard, through my travel agent. The story is that liveaboards due to sail from Marsa Alam are sitting in the harbour, not being allowed to leave without new licences which have become much more difficult to acquire since last week.

ArthurGerla:
From the owner of the liveaboard, through my travel agent. The story is that liveaboards due to sail from Marsa Alam are sitting in the harbour, not being allowed to leave without new licences which have become much more difficult to acquire since last week.

Sounds fishy. Have you already paid?

/c

ArthurGerla:

Don't think this is true. Things do not go like that in Egypt.

Has enyone heard of something like this for northern egypt?
I´m flying to sharm on tuesday...would hate not to get a full weeks worth of diving?
there was also a "new" (never had to do that before) requirement for a photocopy of the passport to be sent in advance...supposedly for something about the marineparks...anyone heard of that?

grazie42:
Has enyone heard of something like this for northern egypt?
I´m flying to sharm on tuesday...would hate not to get a full weeks worth of diving?
there was also a "new" (never had to do that before) requirement for a photocopy of the passport to be sent in advance...supposedly for something about the marineparks...anyone heard of that?

I was in a liveaboard trip last week. We dove the Thistlegorm, the Small Crack, Dunraven, and Ras Mohamed. Nothing like that. However, some extra cautions are taken now after the ferry's accident.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom