OMS IQ question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba446

Reaction score
My wife is looking at the OMS IQ harness. She wants to add a 6# SS BP to it, and would prefer to put a 2" crotch starp on it. Can this be done w/o any big fuss?

Yes a 6# SS back plate can be added easily.

The crotch strap thats on it is a 1". You would have to replace the slider buckle thingie thats on it and I think it would probably fit thru the loop on the back by folding the strap over on itself. It would take some work though. You would also have to replace the male and female ends of the clips as they are only wide enough for a 1" strap.

Lots of work for what return?

TwoBit

Do you have an IQ harness and do you like it? Any negatives about it?

(In fact we made our purchses from same shop at same time)

After having several dives in the IQ, here are some of the pros/cons from my perspective (TwoBit's might be different).

Pros:
  • Very configurable - It's pretty straight forward to switch setup between single and double tanks, and change the wing. Just make sure to have spare wing nuts available (can get very expensive out on the dive boat or middle of Yucatan jungle).
  • Comfy fit - various sizes are available, padded back nice when hiking heavy loads round shore
  • Easy to don/doff - I loosen/tighten the shoulder straps to get out/in
  • D-Rings - not over populated, in the right places for my current style/setup. Small rings are on the back area to allow for clipping your light, stage tank, and other objects that you want attached to you during dive but don't plan on removing during dive.
  • Crotch Strap - Helps harness stays put during dive. My Zeagle Ranger would ride up
  • Backplate pocket - Integrated pocket allows most backplates to slide in. A velcro flap keeps it there. Technically it is possible to dive with the backplate in place but not use the STA when diving a single tank. But I don't recommend this. I also like the fact that with the BP and STA, I can remove 8 pounds off my weight belt.
  • Heavy duty Quick Clips on shoulder harness - Some argue this is a failure point. Me I look at it as an easy way for a rescuer to get me out of my harness quickly without resorting to sheers.
  • Weight belt style belt - Allows you to thread pockets, pouches, and other thing onto the waist area where a velcro cumberbund would not allow it (too wide).
  • Packs small -- With the backplate out and wing removed, it's easy to fold the entire wing and harness into a small space. When done this way, it takes up less space than my Ranger. But then I gotta re-assemble when I get to the boat/site.
Cons
  • No-Sag weight pockets - This is something that I wish OMS would re-design. Takes practice getting into the stowage area. I have lost smaller weights out of them (lost a 2# beanbag this last Flower Gardens trip, found one on boat...who knows where other went). Plus the "no sag" bit is done by straps that run through a d-ring on the pocket to a shoulder d-ring. It works, but it also offers another chance for something to grab onto me. Also the pockets make me too wide in the hips. Made it difficult to penetrate a ships passageway door without doing something like the "Hokey Pokey" (put your right hip in...)

And that is really the only "Con" I can think of.

I am thinking of getting some webbing and such and threading my BP in the BP/Wings purist style and dive it for a few dives to see what I think of that.

To address the weight pocket concept, I plan on working through some dives using a weight belt. Somehow/somewhere I'm going to find the setup that I'm happiest with. And I am seriously thinking of removing the No-Sag pockets and going with a backwards fanny pack to carry my goodies.

All-in-all, the IQ harness is a good way to get into the modular BP/Wings system and still have a BC your kinda familiar with (to some, a plain BP looks a bit "barren" until your understanding of it is increased). Plus you can use the STA without having the BP in place (Hey TwoBit, care to comment on how yours performs in this configuration?). And I like the fact that all the D-Rings are already in "the right places".

So if you were to ask me if it was worth the purchase? I would say yes. And I will also say that I continue to dive the BWOD's and I'm hear to tell you about it. :) (gee, I hope I haven't started another flogging round on that dead horse)

Thanks Texas Mike,
But I'll bet you have begun another flogging on the BWOD issue.

TexasMike,
Are the weight pockets removable?

TM answered most of your questions. Yes the weight pockets are removable. Also sold separately. Rather expensive too. I will probably end up selling my weight pockets right were I bought them from.... Ebay.

Yes I like my OMS.

TwoBit

Let me know man..

My wife really likes that OMS IQ...

Like TwoBit said, you can remove them off of the setup. Infact, they are sold as an accessory and not part of the basic IQ purchase (OMS assumes that you may be diving doubles and that will be enough negative mass to suit you).

Sounds like your wife is fairly set on the IQ. I think the next thing to do is to see if you can rent/borrow one and take it out to your local dive site for a trial run. And if you can get one with the various stuff (BP/STA/Pockets) even better so you can work with the various configs to see what works best for you guys.

Best of luck and let us know how it works out.

can be ameliorated by using one of the many available zippered weight bags. This makes it easier to remove all of the weights at once as well when changing tanks, etc.

Back
Top Bottom