DIRF class 8/09 - 8/11, Ocala FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bishop

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, I'm a pretty new diver (I had 2 non-class dives total going into DIRF) and I learned a lot. It was actually better then my expectations. Everyone in my class was cool and the attitude I thought I was going to run into was non-existant. David Rhea, the instructor, was very helpful and had a wide assortment of equipment for me to try out.

The first dive was the worst and I got progressively better after every dive. No where near the quality I would like to be at but I got better the more I dove. I was having a hard time with trim which made the backward kick almost next to impossible.

I wish that when I had gotten OW certified that they had video taped it just like the DIRF class. Being able to see the video of you screwing up soo bad and what you were doing wrong is such a godsend. I was able to see what movements work and which ones don't. Fin swivels were a particular case where I was able to see that I was moving my legs way too much.

Oh, as of this weekend I've been told that there is no longer a min set of dives requirement for DIRF. After I asked David if I could take the class he talked to J.J. and the requirements have been changed. So, now there is no reason why you shouldn't sign up.

Any idea's on trim or practice would be cool. I'm afraid that I might get to a point where I think I have it down pat but still don't and can't see a video for the honest answer. When did you guys realize you had your kicks and turns pretty much mastered?

mark3397 once bubbled...
...... When did you guys realize you had your kicks and turns pretty much mastered?

Never, just keep practicing!!! If you've got a DIR buddy, dive with him/her. It will force you to "just do it".

I'm lucky-we've got a group of 6 or 7 of us that dives together-we've all taken the DIR-F class. And we are VERY critical of ourselves.

Have fun, and congrats!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom