http://www.diveheart.org/

The oceans needs your voice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seagull76

Reaction score
Greenpeace is on their largest expedition ever, with the ship Esperanza they will travel around the world and address environmental issues that seriously threatens those who depends on our oceans, and work with a lot of local organisations.
Some of the threats are Whaling, pollution and pirate fishing, who uses destructive fishing methods destroying corall and getting a bycatch of dolphins, whales, turtles and other, who are later on thrown overboard dead. To find out more check out http://oceans.greenpeace.org
But in order to address the people in power we need Your voice, by signing up as an oceandefender (free of charge) You have a life time opportunity to show that You too care about our oceans. The journey has just started and more than 45 000 people from all over the world has signed up, but we hope to be a million by the end of the year.:D
What do you think about this?

Don't always believe Green Peace goes about things in the right way but anyone that fights for mother ocean is okay in my book . I signed up.

Seagull76:
Greenpeace is on their largest expedition ever, with the ship Esperanza they will travel around the world and address environmental issues that seriously threatens those who depends on our oceans, and work with a lot of local organisations.
Some of the threats are Whaling, pollution and pirate fishing, who uses destructive fishing methods destroying corall and getting a bycatch of dolphins, whales, turtles and other, who are later on thrown overboard dead. To find out more check out http://oceans.greenpeace.org
But in order to address the people in power we need Your voice, by signing up as an oceandefender (free of charge) You have a life time opportunity to show that You too care about our oceans. The journey has just started and more than 45 000 people from all over the world has signed up, but we hope to be a million by the end of the year.:D
What do you think about this?

I think you need 955,000 more signers-up.

Remember that some of these practices that you believe to be so ghastly are in fact the way some people make their living; such as it might be.

If you want to stop what they are doing you have to remove the market for their product (which probably means educating other cultures as well as their own) and then provide a way for them to feed their family.

Good luck. And don't forget that "mother ocean" can drown you and not care a wit.

Hi all,
You will definetely hear more from me, don't you worry.
Green Manelishi I think you are perfectly right in what you are saying about that peoples livelihoods needs to be respected. But I do believe we need some regulation...don't you? What if one persons livelihood seriously affect other peoples livelihoods?
Did you know that Africa is the only continent where they eat less fish every year, not because they don't like fish anymore but because of the illegal fishing boats, whose fish often end up on European dinner plates, are catching so much fish in their water, the small African fishing villages looses their only means of survival.
Environmental Justice Foundation and Greenpeace is currently working with Guinean officials to monitor and catch these illegal fishing boats, and are working to find proof of who buys the fish for the European markets. Next month it will be cyberactivists who act, sending letters to these companies and boycott their products.

Greenpeace is one of the few environmental organizations that I do not support. Their tactics and expenditures are outlandish.

I believe in the message, but I do want to warn everyone about something you may not be aware of: My friend was a member of Greenpeace. When she went to get her passport, it was denied and she had to have a hearing, because Greenpeace are recognized as terrorists to the U.S. government. I'm not judging about right vs. wrong, but do be aware of this!

ffestpirate:
When she went to get her passport, it was denied and she had to have a hearing, because Greenpeace are recognized as terrorists to the U.S. government.

Greenpeace is most definitely not recognized as a terrorist outfit by the U.S. gov't. However, many of its members and internal sects are closely monitored by the FBI.

Some of this is due to relatively high rates of cross-over enrollment between Greenpeace and more extremist outfits such as the Animal Liberation Front (ALF) and the Earth Liberation Front (ELF), which are recognized as terrorist groups. These groups are much more prone to guerrilla activity.

I won’t comment on why your friend might have been detained. I’ll just say that it wasn't simply because she pays dues to Greenpeace.

JB

Back
Top Bottom