Spring Straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cave Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I recently got a pair of Jet Fins and ordered the Spring Straps for them. The straps are a royal pain in the posterior to install to say the least. I did get one of them installed, but it seemed as if the stainless steel wire retainer was rather short, which put stress on the rubber portion of the Jet fin and caused it to tear slightly.

Obviously I am not thrilled with the idea of ripping my new Jet Fins, so does anyone have any advice or alternative methods for installing these things?

Not 100% sure where CD got his spring straps from but he got them at the same time as the fins. (Scubapro have spring traps?)
They are the 'typical' spring straps I've seen. SS spring connected to alum dowel with SS wire going through in a "C" type bend, with the open end made to attach to the fins. I've been assisting him with this and I will agree, they are a royal PITA. Longer wire is a option. Local hardware store has SS welding rods the size he needs but at $18.00 a lbs CD's kinda of hesitant since all he will need is maybe 2 rods. He's talked to a few of our customers at work and they may have some rods laying around for him to have. Longer really isnt the problem however. As a 'test' he bent a coat hanger wire to the form it needs to be and the wire that comes with the straps is the same length as the test.

But still, bending the rod is a pain. Anyone have any other solutons to an easier way to do this?

TxDeepDiver once bubbled...
Anyone have any other solutons to an easier way to do this?
Best way to close the *C* is with a large pair of Channel Locks or water pump pliers as they are generically called.

I've never had a problem... but then mine are homemade.

The ones 5thD sells need to have the *C* openned up a bit to fit over the rubber boss before clamping them down with the pliers.

I have a bolt on strap system ready to go but not yet released. NO bending at all is necessary for assembly, just a drop of loctite 242 on each thread end. Price is $35 each set with springs and covers. Piece parts I haven't priced separately, yet.

FT

FredT once bubbled...
I have a bolt on strap system ready to go but not yet released. NO bending at all is necessary for assembly, just a drop of loctite 242 on each thread end. Price is $35 each set with springs and covers. Piece parts I haven't priced separately, yet.

FT

Fred, will yours be available in different sizes?

DSAO!

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

Best way to close the *C* is with a large pair of Channel Locks or water pump pliers as they are generically called.

I've never had a problem... but then mine are homemade.

The ones 5thD sells need to have the *C* openned up a bit to fit over the rubber boss before clamping them down with the pliers.

Found out the onesCD has are from 5thD. First one he put on started tearing the rubber boss on the fin. Modified it to where the opening of the C is on the strap itself with a retainer to hold the spring in the alum block. Seems to work so far. I'll find out later if they worked in the real world.

Hey Fred, are yours ready for sale now?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom