kona coffee

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lynnemari

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I want to buy some kona coffee to bring home, but we are going to Kauai, will it be hard to buy there? We will be stopping in honnallula going there and back, would it be better to get there? Which one is the best ect. suggestions on any other treats to take back to the mainland? going there April 1.
thanks Lynne

Hi Lynne. I am a big kona coffee fan! I buy Nick's beans at Costco. it is 100% Kona, not a blend. has a green shiny bag. Runs around 16 dollars a bag. (I put whipped cream in the mug, with a 1/2 spoon of dark brown cane sugar) Yum. Leesa another SB member just gave me a bag of Molakai coffe and she buys it at Safeway. It is really great also, smoother but very rich. I think it is 8 dollars a bag. Good luck!
The other thing people sometimes ask me for is the chocolate covered macadamia nuts. I really like the chewy dried ginger they sell in Chinatown.

lynnemari:
I want to buy some kona coffee to bring home, but we are going to Kauia, will it be hard to buy there? We will be stopping in honnallula going there and back, would it be better to get there? Which one is the best ect. suggestions on any other treats to take back to the mainland? going there April 1.
thanks Lynne

Did you mean Honolulu? Or is honnallula a place on Kauai?
That's the next island I want to go to :D

There is a Longs and a Safeway on Kauai...you'll get 100% Kona, Maui and Molokai coffee there :D

The Kona often goes on sale at Longs (drug store) - I usually get it to mail to my mainland friends for 8 or 9 dollars for 7 or 8 oz. I'm always sending, so I guess it's good...lol

I just discovered the Molokai Coffee that I shared with Catherine...the mild roast (also have a dark roast) - personally, is my favorite :D

Catherine, no lihimoi (sp?) covered fruits :D

OH and I heard that there is also 100% Kauai Coffee available that is supposed to give Kona Coffee a run for the money...just haven't found it yet. Maybe when you're there.

The biggie is to make sure it's 100% Kona. Ive seen as low as 10% being passed off as the real thing. Funny thing was is was one of da braddas bragging about having Kona coffee in Alaska when I burst his little bubble. Real 10% kona coffee! LMAO....

Wildcard:
The biggie is to make sure it's 100% Kona. Ive seen as low as 10% being passed off as the real thing. Funny thing was is was one of da braddas bragging about having Kona coffee in Alaska when I burst his little bubble. Real 10% kona coffee! LMAO....

And it might still cost an arm and a leg :D

justleesa:
And it might still cost an arm and a leg :D

They sell it at Carrs/Safeway for about the same as the rest--$6-7 a bag. It's ok but it's definitely not the real deal.

I have been sending Kona 100% to the Iraqi platoon JB is living with. he is telling me they are loving it! we have a french press (glass one) for travel and he bought one before he left as they don't have electricty much of the time. .

yea, I want to do the Pali Coast hike, with my Kona brew. I hear somebody named "Zodiac man" will deliver your cooler of steaks and merlot to the remote beach campsite on that trip. My friend says, you wake up in your little tent after your first night and your cooler is waiting on the beach. We have this on the top of our list when JB gets home.

I have seen 100% pure Kona bean in pretty much every store here, Longs, safeway, costco, walmart, etc. The cost is steep, but its worth getting for the "cool" factor. We drink the 10% Hawaiian Isles Kona Classic bean as our everyday. Very smooth for the price, on sale its 3.99 for a 12 oz bag. Costco has it in big bags at a good price. But give the 100% bean for gifts...

FYI Catherine, I got a LEXAN french press from REI for travel, unbreakable. Took it to Indonesia with our Hawaiian ground coffee and it was great!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom