Of a flag and a float

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

7millimeter

Contributor
Reaction score
I'd like to do more shore diving this season, so I've been thinking about flags and floats.

What does everyone use for a float? I suppose that the simple styrofoam buoy thing might be the easiest and cheapest way and the zippered cover over an automobile inner tube is the deluxe version? Any other ideas (besides someone writing that their own personal dive boat is their "deluxe" version. I've been reading the board enough now to anticipate that response! :wink: )

What do you carry in your float, if anything?

What size flag do you use and how high off of the water is it? I know that the rules vary by state and country, I am just trying to get a sense of the common practice.

I would be using this flag and float combo for New England shore diving as well as medium to large size lakes.

7millimeter:
I'd like to do more shore diving this season, so I've been thinking about flags and floats.

What does everyone use for a float? I suppose that the simple Styrofoam buoy thing might be the easiest and cheapest way and the zippered cover over an automobile inner tube is the deluxe version? Any other ideas (besides someone writing that their own personal dive boat is their "deluxe" version. I've been reading the board enough now to anticipate that response! :wink: )

What size flag do you use and how high off of the water is it? I know that the rules vary by state and country, I am just trying to get a sense of the common practice.

I would be using this flag and float combo for New England shore diving as well as medium to large size lakes.

Below is a description of what I use (idea came from my instructor)

Tire inner tube with a plastic milk created lashed to the top pf the inner tube.
The dive flag muonts to the inside of the crate.
The tow line mounts to the bottom of the crate through the donut hole in the center of the inner tube.

It work great, provides storage of item in the crate and doesn't get dragged under water like some float dive flags.

I noticed the Hartford Whalers (former) avatar. What part of Connecticut are you from?

I live just above the Mass/Connecticut line and actually work in Windsor, CT.

The little styrofoam float is great for places where you really don't want a flag, but there's a rule that says you have to have one. It's light and easy to tow. In fact, if you're not careful, you'll discover that you're towing it underwater and it's happily flying at 20 feet or so.

The tire is great if you want a real float. I did the calculations once and it comes out to over 300 pounds of buoyancy depending on the size. You can't sink it, and it's great to store stuff in and hang on to in case you find yourself floating around for a while. If you're recovering stuff you can toss it into the basket, or the fabric covering if you buy the commercially manufactured float.

The down-side is that it's a little harder to tow. This typically isn't a problem since once you get where you're going you can just tie it off.

Terry

7millimeter:

What does everyone use for a float? I suppose that the simple styrofoam buoy thing might be the easiest and cheapest way and the zippered cover over an automobile inner tube is the deluxe version? Any other ideas (besides someone writing that their own personal dive boat is their "deluxe" version. I've been reading the board enough now to anticipate that response! :wink: )

Thanks for the great replies. Your comments are definitely helping my decision and focusing my plans.

Has anyone around here used a small, one-person inflatable boat as a dive float? It would probably be just a little larger than an inner tube. I suppose that it might be somewhat hard to tow, as web monkey alluded to in his comments regarding the inner tube. I can also see how it might attract curious boaters and (shudder) jet skiers.

Ronbeau, I am in West Hartford. I have received some positive comments regarding the Whaler avatar. People miss the whale!

Back
Top Bottom