Backplate/ Wing selection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

erich

Contributor
Reaction score
I will be getting a FredT backplate and am trying to decide which my diving is best suited to. Most of my dives are local quarrys and Lake Michigan. I dive a 3-2 mil with a skin that helps warmth a little. With the 3-2mil and my Ranger BC I wear 8 lb of integrated weight.
My first thought was to go 6lb stainless with the 2lb STA. But this would put me at no ditchable lead. I do not know if I am ready for that. I eventually want to save up for a dry suit to extend my diving possibilities. Since the drysuit is a ways off should I go with a 1lb alum plate with 2 lb STA? In the future I could add a p-weight or so to get more weight, right?

Wing selection. I know that I need a single tank wing even though I dream of doubles, in time I can get a second wing. The Halcyon is to much$. The Travel wing is not compatable. I would rather not go the bungied route so that eliminates the DR Rec wing and I think the Trek wing. Is the Trek wing sturdy and does it work well with the bungie removed? The OMS all seem to big 55#+. What does that leave?

Any help would ne greatly appreciated !

If anyone could help me with these two specific questions I would be very grateful !

erich once bubbled...
Wing selection. I know that I need a single tank wing even though I dream of doubles, in time I can get a second wing. The Halcyon is to much$. The Travel wing is not compatable. I would rather not go the bungied route so that eliminates the DR Rec wing and I think the Trek wing. Is the Trek wing sturdy and does it work well with the bungie removed? The OMS all seem to big 55#+. What does that leave?
Any help would ne greatly appreciated !
I use the Rec wings, and have tried them with singles. They are what I would call "acceptable" for singles - but they have the same air-trapping problems I find less than wonderful on any wing that doesn't have a shunt aft (like the Travel Wing does - too bad that won't work for you).
There are a whole bunch of folks on this board that do dive regular style wings with singles, and they may be able to be more helpful than I can.
Based on what you've said so far, and looking to the future, I think the Rec wing is your best bet.
Rick

You always want some ditchable weight, especially if you're diving wet. It doesn't have to be lead blocks - battery packs work fine, too.

I'd get the AL backplate - at 8 lbs, you don't need the steel plates and you'll be able to travel with it without paying through the nose. It's also nice to "reserve" some of the weight you need for trim purposes, instead of locking it up in your backplate. When you make the switch from aluminum tanks to steel, you're going to want to be as light as possible.

Get the Halcyon wing. The new Pioneer wings don't require the use of a STA (but will accept one) and you can save a few bucks there. Save your milk money if you have to.

Steven

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom