Rec wings and doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

msgmotor

Reaction score
My brother just got his doubles and we both noticed alot of wing squeeze with the doubles compared to the single. I'm wondering if in the spring when I go to doubles should I move up to a bigger wing or are they all the same width? the tanks are lp 98's if that makes a difference.

msgmotor once bubbled...
My brother just got his doubles and we both noticed alot of wing squeeze with the doubles compared to the single. I'm wondering if in the spring when I go to doubles should I move up to a bigger wing or are they all the same width? the tanks are lp 98's if that makes a difference.

exactly do you mean by 'wing squeeze'? What wing is he using now?

We both have tp2's with rec wings, with the doubles because of the width the wing now comes foward to your body instead of around the tank like on the single.

Try loosening the bungees when diving twins versus singles.

It sounds like you may be diving with too much weight if you have to put so much air in your wing that it's squeezing you forward. The rec wings are supposed to be made primarily for diving small doubles so there must be some way to make 'em more comfortable.

I found the rec wing (Dive Rite) to be satisfactory with twin 80 aluminums, but not with LP98's.

I switched to an 80 LB double wing, on my OMS LP 98's.
I don't nessessarily need/or recommend. the redundant bladder, it just happened to be available at good price when I was looking for a larger wing.

MIke D

After much playing around we've come the conclusion that the wings are to small for dbl 98's. I think the best bet is to use the tp's with the singles and get bp/wing for the bigger tanks. We had no weight in the pockets it was on the surface with it fully inflated that it would squeeze. Thanks for the replies!

I dive the Transpac/Recwing/Doubles as well as BP/Recwing/Doubles and don't notice any squeeze either way. Perhaps I'm not sensitive enough.
Rick

Are your wings bungeed? If so have you tried them with out the bungges?

I have asked a fellow diver about limitations of the Rec Wings with doubles and this particular Trimix diver claims that he uses his Dual Rec Wings for up to:

12L Twins (Steel)
2 x 7L stage tanks (Steel)

and that for anything up to 80 m they are fine...

This is a HECK of a lot MORE than is being claimed they can handle on this thread. Has anyone else got any comments on the Rec Wings limitations?:confused:

".......These wings can accommodate up to two 104-cubic-foot/16 litre back-mounted cylinders"

Also, I have a freind who dives double steel 95's and 2 45cu ft steel stages with rec wings, he thinks they're great!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom