Just Renewed My DAN Membership & Insurance [Archive] - ScubaBoard - Scuba Diving Forum - Diving Social Network

View Full Version : Just Renewed My DAN Membership & Insurance

Sponsored Link
DandyDon
March 19th, 2006, 09:34 PM
:14: No big deal, I know - but after the recent SSS attacks on this fine organization, I took special joy is doing so. :D

Checked the optional box to throw in the extra $5 for their Endowment program, and another box to automatically renew me this time next year. :thumb:

http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/aktion/action-smiley-046.gif

mcclete22
March 19th, 2006, 09:47 PM
I didn't really pay attention to the attacks, but DAN is something I really have looked into getting. Care to give some info about it? I mean I know the basic, but why do you really like it?

DandyDon
March 19th, 2006, 10:16 PM
I didn't really pay attention to the attacks, but DAN is something I really have looked into getting. Care to give some info about it? I mean I know the basic, but why do you really like it?
:11: Whoa! You're diving without current dive insurance? Well, you didn't put your location in your profile, so you might be Canadian diving in local waters only.

But even if you are, sign up for dive insurance from one of the providers before you ever dive in US waters or anywhere else. You can obtain it from one of the other companies and still call DAN as that's free. I just prefer to support this fine organization. ;)

deeper thoughts
March 19th, 2006, 10:33 PM
so did i and the 5 dollars too

H2Andy
March 19th, 2006, 10:35 PM
yeah, i just renewed DAN in January

i am hoping that my faith in them is justified and that they can
fix this problem with SSS sooner rather than later (come on, guys,
you're both businesses... sit down, talk it over, write a check, move on.
your customers are suffering)

Tavi
March 19th, 2006, 10:58 PM
I've had DAN Insurance for the past 6 years. This year rather than renewing I'll be getting NAUI's Dive and Travel Insurance. Looks like excellent coverage at a lower price!! Somehow I trust NAUI more than I do DAN!!

awap
March 19th, 2006, 11:18 PM
I've had DAN Insurance for the past 6 years. This year rather than renewing I'll be getting NAUI's Dive and Travel Insurance. Looks like excellent coverage at a lower price!! Somehow I trust NAUI more than I do DAN!!

I'm leaning that way also. And it is primary insurance rather than secondary. Plus the cost would allow you to maintain DAN membership to continue to support DAN's non-profit activities and still save money. I like DAN, but the more I look around the more I am confused by their for-profit insurance comnpany.

DandyDon
March 19th, 2006, 11:24 PM
I'm leaning that way also. And it is primary insurance rather than secondary. Plus the cost would allow you to maintain DAN membership to continue to support DAN's non-profit activities and still save money. I like DAN, but the more I look around the more I am confused by their for-profit insurance comnpany.
DAN would insure divers when noone else would, I believe, but that's a good approach. Insure elsewhere, but continue to support DAN thru membership. ;)

omar
March 20th, 2006, 12:52 AM

Me too! I have had DAN for 7 years and will go with NAUI when it is time to renew and I will NOT continue my membership with DAN. They have been playing fast and loose with the $$ coming in to justify my continued support.

all4scuba05
March 20th, 2006, 01:04 AM
okay, who wants popcorn?

tachyon
March 20th, 2006, 01:25 AM
I renewed my DAN membership and insurance recently as well. My initial membership date is June 28, 1994, and I've had DAN insurance for every dive since then. Sometimes there is a gap in diving, and I don't renew the insurance until I'm planning to dive again; but even if you get dive insurance someplace else; the membership is well worth it IMO.

tachyon

tiburon72157
March 20th, 2006, 01:51 AM
vicencia & buckley is a much better plan...less restrictive limitations.

http://www.diveinsurance.com/

Lukiedukie
March 20th, 2006, 02:09 AM
I am still a newbie to diving with a C card and I am also I new DAN member and customer. I do not see taking the chance of diving without insurance. I do hope to never have to use it but it make my S/O and my Mommy feel better so any insurance is worth it. If you not want to get DAN then get coverage else where, Insurance is kind of like a warm blanket on a cold night, it does not matter where it comes form as long as you have it. I am planning on adding to my DAN coverage with another company just in case.

DiveMaven
March 20th, 2006, 08:51 AM
We renewed our DAN insurance for another year, deciding to wait and see before switching to another company. Since we're only diving domestically in the next year, it gives us plenty of time to see what happens with SSS, etc.

dbg40
March 20th, 2006, 09:42 AM
I support DAN, lets face it, someone has to take on those that charge unfair prices for services done. If it goes unchecked, who knows what they will conjure up in the future? Dan has been providing a fantastic service to divers for some time now, and running away because they face off with thugs is not only unfair, it's the very reason to stay with them. If you are going to one of the places that SSS is currently raping, then double cover with an insurance that will pay an inflated cost for treatment. The cost is minimal compared to what you will spend for the trip, and continue to support DAN. Im confident that some reason will come of this in the future, but eather way, im staying with DAN.

awap
March 20th, 2006, 09:48 AM

But it has a couple warts. You are not covered while "fishing underwater". Also has an exclusion for "unusual" conditions. Who knows how they might try to apply that one.

El Orans
March 20th, 2006, 10:00 AM
DAN Europe (http://www.daneurope.org) (different company) for the last 3 years.

Have only needed them once (luckily it was false alarm) but nevertheless quite happy with them. I will renew them.

DandyDon
March 20th, 2006, 10:10 AM
I support DAN, lets face it, someone has to take on those that charge unfair prices for services done. If it goes unchecked, who knows what they will conjure up in the future? Dan has been providing a fantastic service to divers for some time now, and running away because they face off with thugs is not only unfair, it's the very reason to stay with them. If you are going to one of the places that SSS is currently raping, then double cover with an insurance that will pay an inflated cost for treatment. The cost is minimal compared to what you will spend for the trip, and continue to support DAN. Im confident that some reason will come of this in the future, but eather way, im staying with DAN.
Hear, hear! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/aktion/action-smiley-033.gif Well said.

Yeah, I take Trip Ins for any international dive trip, for several reasons. Even if I had to go to an SSS clinic, I'd have that as well. But wouldn't you hate to go to a clinic owned by a greedy doctor? http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/aktion/action-smiley-034.gif

sweatfrog
March 20th, 2006, 12:43 PM

I just picked it up for my trip to the Galapagos next month, even though my DAN Insurance won't lapse until this June.

But it has a couple warts. You are not covered while "fishing underwater".
Most of the places I go don't allow that anyway. I like pics UW anyway.

Also has an exclusion for "unusual" conditions. Who knows how they might try to apply that one.
Now that's a good question, I'll see if I can't get a definative answer.

Sponsored Link

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1