Whiskey Wreck Dive Report 3-19-6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
billy_b4c and I met up at 8AM in Robertsdale and headed out to Bahama Bob's to dive the Whiskey Wreck today. It was overcast during the trip, but we got spots of clear skies and sunshine by the time we had geared up and gotten out to the beach. A front was coming in and the winds were brisk out of the East making it a bit chilly @ ~60F airtemp. The surf was running around thigh high as we waded out past the breakers and headed under the surface. We opted to start a bit further east of the wreck as there was a slight current running. After a submerged swim out to the correct depth and a quick pop to the surface to get a bearing on our landmark(Bahama Bob's sign), we were back down and on the wreck within minutes.

Hooked the flag to the wreck and started our way around it. The seas seemed to be getting larger and between the current and surge on the bottom moving about the wreck was cumbersome as we had to stay close due to the limitted visibility(~5'). We had an hour long dive including the swim back in and I maxed out a depth of 15'. Quite a few large sheepshead were schooling around the wreck. Exitting was fun with waist high surf rolling in and a current.

All in all, it was a fun dive despite the conditions. I took a few pictures, although they didn't come out too well. I also took some video around the wreck, a feature I rarely take advantage of out the camera. Hopefully next time, I can take some pictures that do this fun shore dive some justice.

http://www.suprbugman.com/gallery/album118 <-- Pics!

Not sure what I'm gonna do with the video.

Thanks for the report, Mat.
Looks like there's at least enough structure above the sand to make it interesting. Now for a nice calm high tide with clear water...
Rick

What was the relief on the wreck? Hight Tide looked to be at 1pm, or so. Was the surf too high for a second dip?

Thanks for the report and pics - we'll have to hit that spot when we go to Mobile to get Gulf-Gulpers house stuff.

Rick Murchison:
Thanks for the report, Mat.
Looks like there's at least enough structure above the sand to make it interesting. Now for a nice calm high tide with clear water...
Rick

At its highest point, the wreck is sticking about 6' out the sand. Its interesting for 30-45min :) Looking forward to the flounder making there way back.

paulwall:
What was the relief on the wreck? Hight Tide looked to be at 1pm, or so. Was the surf too high for a second dip?

NDL on air is 350 min. I think even YOU could make an 80 last for 2 hours on this dive site. Its a great dive, but not really worth the walk back to retank, then back to the beach, and the swim out unless there is a ton of fish on it and your planning a big dinner! Combine this dive with another at the jetties and you have a good day on your agenda! As for relief, as high as 6' towards the center. The pictures don't show this, but the video does. I have nowhere to upload the vid though.

I'm coming down this weekend, weather permitting. I may even have a new "dive vehicle" to show off. I'm in the negotiation stage. It may make the Bronco of Doom obsolete.

paulwall:
I'm coming down this weekend, weather permitting. I may even have a new "dive vehicle" to show off. I'm in the negotiation stage. It may make the Bronco of Doom obsolete.

You aren't drivin'-n-divin' that Lincoln anymore?

paulwall:

Coming down to our area? or what?

Bronco of Doom obsolete? Neva!

mike_s:
You aren't drivin'-n-divin' that Lincoln anymore?

My wife told me "I better start thinkin' about not driving that hot-rod lincoln!"

I'm looking at a Ford Ranger Econo-truck. Screamin' deals out there right now for us Katrina victims.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom