Investment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kray_Z

Reaction score
Just to give everyone an idea of my situation. i have about 750 to spend on some gear vs renting all spring and summer. I have a lot of dives ahead of me and soon, so I feel like renting would just be a money pit (lds is about 50 a day) when I could have been putting that money towands some gear. I know it's a good idea to get a feel for what i want by renting and trying many different set ups but as i said before, if I could find something that I will be happy with now (through your help)... why waste the money. So, another variable is added when I consider that I also am not planning to stay ow for long and intend to persue wreck or another form of tech along that path. Dilema... once again I am forced to decided wether it is worth it to invest in some gear that could be rendered obsolite as my experience and training progresses. If you couldn't already tell I like to put a lot of thought into my monetary decisions. With that said, please lend me your opinions from anyone that can share my experience or if you just have an idea for my hybrid set up(something with upgradability maybe?)

once again thanks for reading and taking the time to share your thoughts :D

Guess if you have to buy something right now, I'd say BP/W. Make sure you get a single tank wing, not a double tank wing.

If you have money left over, then I'd go for the exposure protection.

The reg is the most expensive part and can be left for last. Your LDS should be taking pretty good care of their rental ones and you're not going to be doing any non-rec diving.

When you get the money, get a good quality reg, Zeagle, Apeks, etc. Make sure it is environmentally sealed so you don't have to worry about free flow in cold water.

Id get mask,snorkel fins wetsuit, knife & SMB first. pref new. You can use this stuff by itself for free diving. Then look at a secondhand BC regs and computer and weights. As you progress you can upgrade what you want. Last of all buy your tanks. They are a great convienience but unless you do a lot of diving it can be uneconomical to own them.
This is the way I did it. and after 200 dives I have just got another suit, original fins weight belt and mask.But on my 3rd comp, 3rd BC & 3rd regs, after giving my 1st set to my GF and selling the second set for what I paid for it.
Some people dont like buying second hand but when on a budget I think its the best way to go esp with Ebay!

thanks for the quick response! any suggestions on brands and would a zeagle brigade be worth it or should i just stick to a pure bp/w

yeah i guess i should have mentioned i already have the basics.. fins mask weights snorkel booties but not exp suit.. but then again for the diving im doing in fl i dont always need it.

krayz:
thanks for the quick response! any suggestions on brands and would a zeagle brigade be worth it or should i just stick to a pure bp/w
If you are going tech - don't spend your money on anything besides a BPW. Yes you will buy a doubles wing and cam bands later, but configure your gear now as if you were going tech.

I also advocate buying gear once. I blew about an extra $3,000. on gear that became obsolete as I progressed. The only thing that I did buy that I don't regret from my earlier purchases were my MK25/S600 regs.

Save yourself the $$ on the SMB. That is $175. saved that item alone. Yes I do carry one with me on all my rec dives but I've dropped over $15,000 on gear so a couple hundred extra is no big deal...

krayz,

OE2X has seen my set up, so here's what I have and use in cold and warm water for single tank diving. I have it listed in the order which I would suggest buying.

DiveRite or other brand backplate. Actually, I like the Deep Sea Supply plate, http://www.deepseasupply.com/page7.html .

Single piece harness.

Oxycheq 45 single tank wing. http://www.oxycheq.com/Wings-SS.html

Good quality exposure suit, either dry or wet, depends on your diving environment. Some names that come to mind are DUI, Bare, etc.

Zeagle DSIV with ZX second stage and ZX octo. The the DSIV has been replaced with the DSV. Superb all climate reg. www.zeagle.com I also have an SPG on the reg.
Also, my primary is on a 7ft hose.

Suunto SK7 wrist compassbut you need to get a different strap for it. I think DSS makes one.

Dive Rite HID light and two LED back up lights that go on the shoulder straps of the harness.

Suunto Vytec computer, definately expensive and definately not needed for quite a while. CORRECTION: Get the computer before you buy the lights, actually about the same time you buy the reg because you'll need it for depth and time.

This should help.

My only problem with the "package" deals is unless they are in the thousands of dollars, either the BC or reg, possibly both are rather low end.

Those are the two main things you should never, ever skimp on. Either get top of the line, dependable stuff or don't get it at all.

Quarrior:
My only problem with the "package" deals is unless they are in the thousands of dollars, either the BC or reg, possibly both are rather low end.

Those are the two main things you should never, ever skimp on. Either get top of the line, dependable stuff or don't get it at all.

Price has little to do with quality in dive gear. Price reflects add-on features that simply increase costs. All life-support equipment is guaranteed for life... example, from ScubaToys:

Aeris A1 regulator, octo, with Aeris Atmos BC, and double gauges, for $485; a Bare Velocity 3/2 Full Mens Wetsuit for $120... perfectly useful for someone who normally uses rental gear.

Back
Top Bottom