Need a cheap but reliable back up computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wink69

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I,m putting together a "Save a Dive Kit" and would like some recomendations on a small reliable but inexspensive computer. Hopefully I wont have to use it, but as soon as I think I wont I will. Thanks.

What is your definition of 'inexpensive'?

Typically, the less expensive ones are larger, and the smaller ones are more expensive.

If you have a PDA use something like a Decoweenie/GUE program or other. Some are actually free. If it needs to go underwater some Oceanic, or similar units were pretty cheap. The other alternative is to cut some tables on Wetnotes and always take that with you on a dive. It's better than cheap and short of losing it always works.

Bottom timers are cheap. If your computer dies on you then you can fall back on the timer and the tables.

scubamickey:
Bottom timers are cheap. If your computer dies on you then you can fall back on the timer and the tables.

where are they cheap? A digital BT cost ~ the same to make as a basic computer. I just found lots of small wrist computers for $199. Digital BT from Uwatec/OMS are more than that.

Leisurepro sells a BT for just over $200. To me that's cheap when a good computer can cost over $300.

Not to me when you can get a computer from a major brand for less that would do what the orig poster is looking for.

Watch and dive tables. Best backup you can have. If you really want a bottom timer, try to find a Timex Helix. They're still avail. on ebay for about $50-60.

Wink69:
I,m putting together a "Save a Dive Kit" and would like some recomendations on a small reliable but inexspensive computer. Hopefully I wont have to use it, but as soon as I think I wont I will. Thanks.

Just 1 point. Unless you are only doing 1 dive a day, a backup computer needs to be with you on every dive. Unlike tables, there is no way to add the nitrogen loading factors (time, depth, SI) to a computer that has resided "clean" in a save-a-dive kit.

keyshunter:
Just 1 point. Unless you are only doing 1 dive a day, a backup computer needs to be with you on every dive. Unlike tables, there is no way to add the nitrogen loading factors (time, depth, SI) to a computer that has resided "clean" in a save-a-dive kit.

Bloody good point. Wear both at the same time or just get a depth gauge. depending on the sort of diving you intend on doing I would just opt for the gauge.

Back
Top Bottom