Halcyon Pioneer specs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jamespitt

Reaction score
does anyone have the dimensions for the STA-less Halcyon Pioneer wing? I am getting a BP cut and would like to have the holes/slots done on the BP if i do go for the Pioneer wing.

thanks,
James

Are you cutting from scratch, without plans or schematics? If you don't mind a newbie's point of view, consider that it may be worth your while to order a BP from someone who's had a lot of practice and has already worked out those details. There are members of this board, for instance, who do very fine work with backplates.

Invariably when I launch into a project thinking "how tough could it be?" I always find out *exactly* how tough it is!

From the bottom of the plate's first boltset hole... 3" to the centerline of the first set of slots... then 5.25" to the centerline of the second set of slots. Slots in the plate are cut midway in the angle of the channel and are approx 2" long by 3/16" wide.

If it were me... unless shipping is just to much too Australia... I would get one of the local boy's (here on Scuba Board) plates... FredT or ScottK... barring that I would get the wing first cause Uncle Pug's measurements might be off... that and you probably needed the dimensions in centimeters.

thanks guys,
i picked up on a aussie site that someone was getting 30 x 316L SS BPs cut for about 70 dollars each, thats US$35 a piece. and postage from melbourne to sydney for the plate is about 10 bucks. so a SS BP delivered to my door for us$40 is not a bad deal. considering if i went for freds, scotts or garys (from ebay) it would be US$80, + 15% for customs and duty and tax and also about us$50 for postage. add it all up and u get US$140 for a BP. and as someone said on this board, a backplate is a backplate is a backplate.
the reason is asked for the dims is because the guy is getting his first batch cut without the slots for the new pioneer wing. although he did say that if he got the dims for the slots then those who wanted the slots cut, could get it done for a couple for dollars.
UP - the rest of the world is in metric and it has its proven advantages, when are the septics (septic tank - yank) gonna catch on??
i have attached a screenshot of the BP that s getting cut, pls check if it looks alright.
thanks,
James

Wow UP,
You recommended my friends BP (Koplin) - I'm impressed!

jamespitt once bubbled...
when are the septics (septic tank - yank) gonna catch on??
Well James... I took my metric ruler out to the dive locker and did a re-measure... and sure enough I was wrong on all those inch measurements... be sure to cut the bottom slots 2 centimeters wide and 10 centimeters long... and of course I had the positioning all wrong too... you want your first slot to start only 1 centemeter from the very bottom of the plate. The ones at the top can go just about anywhere you'd like them but make sure that are only 5 millimeters wide... I think that should just about fix you.

Be sure to make a bunch of them.... :eek:ut:

jamespitt,

Wanna shoot me the details of the guy who's getting the plates made? I might want to pick one up from him on my eventual return to oz. Is it anyone off the diveoz site?

Ben

Check out the current discussion "backplate sizes" in the dive gear section. David M had the plans, and underwaterbear is organising the actual production.

BG,
yip got 'em of diveoz. Andrew is organising them. with the amount of response he is getting, i think he could have a tidy little business going there. i am probably going to wait for the newer plans with slots for the pioneer wing. and then get 2 plates, a AL one and a Steel one, with a STA, to cover me for all types of diving (for probably less than $150 aussie). this is because i dont have a wing yet...
later,
james

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom