Opinions on Oceanic VEO 100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boomer68

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Any opinions on Oceanic VEO 100 as a basic computer for 1st timer? Thanks, Boomer

boomer68:
Any opinions on Oceanic VEO 100 as a basic computer for 1st timer? Thanks, Boomer

To be honest, if you're after a "basic" dive computer, you would be better off spending a little extra and upgrade to the Oceanic Veo180 model.

It is GREATLY improved over the 100 model, it has an audible alert (good for new and old alike) does deco, nitrox to 50%, etc etc, has most of the stuff to see you thru a good few years of Rec diving, and is still within a budgetable PDC. Yes, in its NAVCON console for its a little bulky, but not more so than others, and smaller than alot of rental gear. The 180 would see you through ALOT longer than a 100.
Anyone starting out, and wanting a few years from normal Rec diving (not going technical etc etc) and that cant afford wireless should at least consider the 180 on their short list. If you want to step up from the 180, the only main difference is you'll want air integration and/or wireless...

I got the VersaPro wrist mount, and really like it. Check Scubatoys website for the price, but it has tons of features, and is easy to use and read!
Tom

I don't use nitrox, and have no intention of doing so. If, for some reason, I ever did, using the air-based calculations of a Veo 100 would give an extra margin of safety.

I have and sometimes use a Veo 100. It is a backup for my hand calculated modified tables. I use an excellent mini depth and pressure gauge, and a good watch. I'm very conservative. The Veo works fine as a backup, but I rely on my own brain. I dive for specific purposes, mainly sea life connected, and seldom dive deeper than about 25 meters. Scuba for me is a means to an end, not an end in itself. It lets me do more than breath hold diving permits, so I put up with the bulk of scuba equipment, reduced to a streamlined minimum.

The Veo is cheap, reliable, and does what I want it to. I've been diving since the 70s, so it's unlikely I'll suddenly decide to expand my horizons, technically.

Diving is a Zen experience. I enjoy spending an hour just examining the minute life thats developed on a mooring line, or the microcommunity under an overhang on the fore reef in 15 meters. Muddy back bays and mangrove areas near inlets can facinate for endless days of exploration.

Equipment is important, but its not what diving is about, at least not for me. My Mark 5 (1970) still words wonderfully well. I've updated the yoke to accomodate a 3500psi 45 cu ft steel tank for shorter dives, and a steel 80 for longer dives. I also use a Spare Air 1.7 as a bail out bottle. Considering I made the surface from 70 feet on one breath of air after I handed my entire rig to a homicidally frightened moron many years ago, I'm confident I can do it with three or four breaths. I never do decompression dives., of course. There is no reason for me to. I NEVER buddy dive, except with a few people I know extremely well. Otherwise, I keep my distance.

There is more variety in the Scuba world than many people might lead you to believe.

Get the Veo 100: less crap to drag around,and money to spend on other things.

I don't use nitrox, and have no intention of doing so. If, for some reason, I ever did, using the air-based calculations of a Veo 100 would give an extra margin of safety.
The odds are that you will change your mind someday - about Nx and want to dive it for real, or - about Scuba and want to sell your gear. Either way, you're better off with a Nx computer that will track O2 loading even if you dive air tables - which is something that you hear about, but is not really done.

However, the VEO100 is a fine no-frills computer. If you don't want to take the suggestions give, go for it. :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom