How close to DIR are others?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetman

Contributor
Reaction score
How close to DIR are other forms of technical training? When i hear of cave training or extended range training i would think that a lot of whats there would overlap. I've heard some comments from long established technical divers against DIR but i'm not even sure that they know exactly what it stands for as these seem to be mostly fleeting comments. But then i look at their setup and its quite similar in most ways. I realize DIR is more than a gear configuration but really, where would some of the differences be if any.

Also, is anyone here taking the DIRF from norther tech diver on sept 21/22? All signed up and looking forward to it.

steve

wetman once bubbled...

Also, is anyone here taking the DIRF from norther tech diver on sept 21/22? All signed up and looking forward to it.

steve

Assuming I can talk my wife into ether A) letting me or B) come with, yes.

Depends on the instructor much more than the agency. Most technical instructors (and divers) here in South Florida have adopted many of the DIR principles, simply because they make sense.

My trimix course was TDI and IANTD but many DIR principles were stressed during the course. Yea, we deviated in a few places (oh my God Marge, they're wearing steel tanks with WETSUITS!!!!) but for the most part the principles were followed. Buddy awareness was stressed, as was horizontal body positioning, etc.

Choose your instructor before your agency.

Tom

Is Dan Macky teaching that class? If so, you will have a great time :). Take notes and watch the video, and then go pratice. It is worth the time.
Eric

BP/wing and long hose are part of the basic Hogarthian system. DIR is an evolution of this system. It's a rigid, but very systematic way of describing where each piece of equipment should be stored. In this configuration, every diver on the team will know where a redundant piece of gear can be found within the team.

Besides the setup, there are a lot of philosophies and diving concepts within the DIR system. A search on the board, will provide a lot of the subtle concepts. A short list would be: decompression theories, team and situational awareness, trim / bouyancy / efficient movements underwater.... etc.

So here's an example: Why do DIR divers ascend / descend horizontally? In the horizontal, position you provide a larger profile to the water column, which helps to control your vertical movement. This helps to maintain stops as well as a slow controlled ascent for maximized safety. A team in a horizontal position and facing each other negates the task of team awareness, and each team member is in a ready position to reach another member in the event of an emergency.

So basically, DIR isn't completely based on how a diver's gear is configured or if the diver uses particular gear. It's a mental attitude of teamwork. It's efficiency and safety underwater.

Sorry, didn't want to leave a long post, but hope this helps.
Ken

WreckWriter once bubbled...
Depends on the instructor much more than the agency. Most technical instructors (and divers) here in South Florida have adopted many of the DIR principles, simply because they make sense.

They do make sense, but it's the other way around - most DIR principles and techniques were adopted from standard practices of cave diving. DIR is not revolutionary if you've had some cave training.

Choose your instructor before your agency.

Tom

Great advice for anyone at any level.

Wetman, you're right, many tech divers have similar setups to DIR, because DIR pretty much uses a standard Hogarthian rigging and all the basic cave skills. I think the reason many folks speak out against DIR is because there tends to be misunderstandings on both sides about how much they have in common. DIR converts (often new inexperienced ones) can be fairly intolerant in their criticism of highly skilled non-DIR divers, often for trivial things that say more about their own lack of understanding than the other diver's skill. This leads to resentment from the non-DIR community, naturally enough. Nobody likes a Mr. know-it-all, especially when he doesn't.

That said, JJ's got a vision, and you've got to admire him for it. He's set out to improve the dive training world one student at a time, which is good, because recreational training sucks. DIR's got higher standards and a better average level of instruction than just about anybody out there; if it weren't for the colossal arrogance of so many DIR divers, I'd sign up tomorrow. Since I know where to get instruction just as good without the sanctimony, I don't have to.

"if it weren't for the colossal arrogance of so many DIR divers, I'd sign up tomorrow. Since I know where to get instruction just as good without the sanctimony, I don't have to."

I don't understand that, are there not any colossally arrogant divers in the organization that you take training in?

Which organization is that?

Why do you let those types of people stop you from doing what you want?

Tommy

Sorry, I was reading techdiver and got a little PO'd before coming here. Didn't mean to paint with such a broad brush.

Sure, there are arrogant divers everywhere (including yours truly). I guess it's more the "we're right, you're wrong" intolerance thing that some DIR folks take to extremes that gets to me, and others.

I probably wouldn't sign up tomorrow, actually - I made that up for effect. I've got great instructors who work through NSS, IANTD, and TDI, and so far they've done ok by me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom