Jon Lines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

they come in handy in currents

:wink:

I generally carry a buddy line in my cummerbund pocket. This serves double use as a Jon line. It's made of 1/4" bungee.
There are advantages and disadvantages.
When doing a long hang on a shot line with a lot of other divers it gets you out of the congestion and the bungee serves as a shock absorber if the line is jerking around.
OTOH if there are other divers with poor buoyancy control hanging on to the shot line, the point where you attached your Jon line may be subject to considerable vertical movement so you have to keep repositioning it.
Sometimes it's good to have it, others no.

miketsp:
I generally carry a buddy line in my cummerbund pocket. This serves double use as a Jon line. It's made of 1/4" bungee.
There are advantages and disadvantages.
When doing a long hang on a shot line with a lot of other divers it gets you out of the congestion and the bungee serves as a shock absorber if the line is jerking around.
OTOH if there are other divers with poor buoyancy control hanging on to the shot line, the point where you attached your Jon line may be subject to considerable vertical movement so you have to keep repositioning it.
Sometimes it's good to have it, others no.

Something else to take into consideration. Thank you, Mike.

On the anchor line, after diving the C53 in Cozumel, I swear, that was the longest three minutes of my life. The current was tossing us around like ragdolls.

Fish_Whisperer:
Are they worth having? How often are they used for safety stops when diving wrecks, by recreational divers?

Thanks.

Hardly ever. I use them on deco stops to stand off the up-line so that divers who are ascending faster than I am can get past me without saying "excuse me".

R..

Yes, They are good to have. Sometimes the line gets too crowded and the is a good ideat to use it. Also when the ocean is to rough it keeps you from going up and down (save earned hits!). Any ways my two cents.....

T
Dive Silent Dive Deep.

I use mine in any kind of current. I made it out of stuff laying around, didn't cost anything. It connects the downline to my scooter, I'm connected to the scooter via the harness. Keeps the scooter forward and out of the way. Allows for handsfree hangs, which is beneficial doing gas switches. All in all, pretty useful since we encounter currents more often than not.

http://www.ub88.org/05feb04_18.html
Note single long loop of spooline around the anchor/mooring upline. Simply "lasso" it up the anchorline as you progress through your Deco Stops. . .

Pros: unclip double ender from spooline end, easy release (spooline just slips-off from around the upline) casting off for drifting deco option.

Cons: ultimate/tensile strength of the spooline twine especially in strong current; "dull razor" abrading effect of upline on spooline; foul-ups due to twisting the spooline (i.e. may have to cut-away to clear). . .

Last year on the Duane in key Largo the current was ripping and to top it off we had 4-6ft seas. I felt like I was riding a bull. That's when I learned about Jon lines. Man I wish I had one. Looking back on it, bouncing up and down 5-10 feet while zapping all my remaining strength hanging onto the ascent line for dear life after a deep dive wasn't very safe.

Back
Top Bottom