Local Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aquatic Eagle

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi everyone. Spring break for my fiancee is coming up and we want to dive. She's a pretty new diver and I'm an instructor. We live in Greenville, SC. She'll have a week vacation starting April 1st. We don't have much money to spend at all...we just want to dive some. Anybody have any good ideas for some places where the water isn't so cold still? Thanks!

Ft. Lauderdale area is good, about 70 degree water (3mm wetsuit or 5mm is fine) and very reasonable. Usually you can get good hotel rates. Try E-Force diving. As far as close to Greenville....no warm water diving around there that I know of, only Lake, Quarry and River...all will be in the 45-50 degree range definatelt semi-dry or dry-suit type dives. Hook up with a local shop that might want some extra experience along on a trip in that time frame.

NatureDiver:
Hi everyone. Spring break for my fiancee is coming up and we want to dive. She's a pretty new diver and I'm an instructor. We live in Greenville, SC. She'll have a week vacation starting April 1st. We don't have much money to spend at all...we just want to dive some. Anybody have any good ideas for some places where the water isn't so cold still? Thanks!

I agree with M. Ault. You really need to think about S. Florida for warmer water this time of year. Unfortunately, hotels are higher now. West Palm, Jupiter, and Lauderdale are good choices as are the Keys if you don't mind a little more driving.
Also, you could consider the N. Florida Springs (70-72 degree water).

Locally in the Augusta, GA area, it is still cold diving - though the temp is up to 56 degrees and 15' vis. This means drysuit or 7mm with hood and gloves. I'm not sure I would recommend this for a new diver unless they have had previous experience with a heavy suit and cold water diving before. The Winter Diving in the South thread has info on our sites. Probably couldn't get motels here that week because of the Masters Golf Tourn - as if there is another sport besides scuba!

Forgot to add this, you might want to check out clarkhoward.com. If you don't know about him, he is a consumer reports kind of guy and has a radio show. On his web sites he lists the best Atlanta travel deals - saw air to Grand Cayman under $300 earlier in the week. Might want to have a look.

Back
Top Bottom