DIR and Pony in position of canister light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

java

Reaction score
I know that DIR frowns at the use of a pony. Here in NJ many dive boats require it. Would it make sense to somehow mount a pony in the same position as a canister light if one will not be using such a light? Doesnt seem like it would be more of an entanglement hazard then a light or less streamlined.

any thoughts wold be welcome

dont you sling a 30 or 40 cuft bottle as a 'deco' bottle, filled with air or EAN32 or something like that? It is streamlined and you can tell them it is a redundant airsource. Using it that way might not be completely DIR but at least the boat people are satisfied and you are not using the standard pony.
how about that? :D

Rig it like a deco cylinder. That way you can pass the bottle off to your buddy, it is not an snag hazard, and you can get to it to turn it on or off.

Eric

While it is not DIR most divers using singles around here rig their Pony on the right side. If a canister is used then it is rigged on the left.

As I said, it doesn't live up to the DIR gang, but that's how I've seen it and it works for me.

Ty

It doesn't matter if it is a sinlge or double configuration. A pony tank (larger than 6 cu ft) is going to be a pain in the rear to dive with. That's all,.

Eric

ericfine50 once bubbled...
It doesn't matter if it is a sinlge or double configuration. A pony tank (larger than 6 cu ft) is going to be a pain in the rear to dive with. That's all,.

Eric

I don't understand your post Eric... are you saying that no matter how it's rigged a "pony" is a pain to dive with???

I don't use "Pony's" but use stages all the time (AL 80 stage and AL 40 deco bottles) Even something as big as an AL80 is no problem at all to use in the water (rigged as a stage). I've also worn TWO AL80's and an AL40 with no problem.... Harder to swim because of more drag but otherwise no problem. This is also all with double 104's.

A single AL40 (or even smaller) I'd hardly notice and I'm sure anyone else should be able to dive very easily.

Don't knock it unless you've tried it.

DSAO!!

Rig it as I am - just like a deco bottle - left side.

Now for the $1000 question - is it correct to assume that the PONY valve MUST be in the open position?

I read where someone suggested you dive with the pony valve CLOSED to as to avoid accidently losing gas by accident and not having any if/when you need it.

Wouldn't having to OPEN the K-valve now be task loading?

???

WYDT,

No, I meant rig as a deco/stage. Java said he has seen some divers rig the bottle on the hip like a light canister. I thought that would not work for anything larger than a 6 cu ft. bottle.

Sorry I was not clear,
Eric

Scuba446 once bubbled...
I read where someone suggested you dive with the pony valve CLOSED to as to avoid accidently losing gas by accident and not having any if/when you need it.

Wouldn't having to OPEN the K-valve now be task loading?

I have always perferred closed, which is why I couldn't keep my pony on my back when I moved to my BP/Wings [couldn't reach the valve].

Yes, it's task loading, but it's no more task loading than shutting down a valve on doubles... and it is something you've been practicing in your free time during dives.... right? :)

Now I believe the concept of having it closed in the DIR methods is to get you used to turning them on when you use them. In multi-mix dives, you'll have your MOD and mix info on your tank, not on your regulator. Check the bottle, turn it on. Take a breath from the reg. If you don't get gas, most likely your not sucking on the right regulator.

OK,
Thanks..I have not practiced it yet - just bought it last week and am rigging it up now - but i will be sure to DO that!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom