Uwatec SmartTec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BubbleTrouble

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Folks

Am interested in opinions from anyone who dives the Uwatec SmartTec.

- Any issues with the AI?
- any issues with downloading to SmartTrak?
- It's screen is massive, is easily readable? well organised?
- How easy is it to swith gases?
- has anyone taken it on deeper than 40m dives? How did it work out?

My diving is currently with rec limits, but am thinking on moving to tech diving at some stage.

cheers
Mike

I have the air z and have been using it with deco and works good. However, it does not like when I use o2. The smart tech is abt or is the same size. My current computer is very clear to read. My problem with the smart tec is its price. There are other computers out there that cost less and do the same or more. Forget the remote transmitter, just use an spg. The ones I was looking at were the Dive rite duo @350 Dive Rite He @800 Suunto vytec @600 VR3 @1300. If I am not mistaking the smart tec is about 1200. I used to be all scubapro but then realized, while it is good stuff, it can be very expensive for what you get. IMO, shop it out. (oh prices are approximate)

-I've had no trouble with the AI, although I've only had it for a few months.

-I've also had no trouble at all with the SmartTrak downloads or adjusting settings via SmartTrak.

-I find the screen easy to read and well laid out. Not quite as good as the SmartCOM, but still very good.

-I haven't sprung for the extra transmitter yet to do gas switches. This is my only complaint: I wish you could program and enter gas switches without having the 2nd transmitter.

If you are serious about tech diving, you will find youself with it (or most any other computer) set in gauge mode before too long.

Unless they changed it in the past year, you can only set the O2 % in 2% increments which limits your Nitrox diving in my oppinion.

Also, you cannot change gasses or anything while wearing gloves.

I switched to the Suunto Vytec.

The SmartTEC has three buttons on it which you use for switching tanks, light and a deco timer. Overall the SmartTec seems to be better layed out and if set to L1 micro-bubble suppresion is about as conservative as the Vytec. I do like it's screen layout as it is a lot clearer than teh Vytec.
My main issue SmartTec is the price ... while I have the money I could be doing a whole lot more diving if I buy the vytec without a transmitter - this way I save over $1000.
Now if I could only buy the Smarttec without a transmitter that might work.

Quarrior:
Unless they changed it in the past year, you can only set the O2 % in 2% increments which limits your Nitrox diving in my oppinion.

Also, you cannot change gasses or anything while wearing gloves.

I switched to the Suunto Vytec.
I don't think we are talking about the same computer. The SmartTEC has as big or bigger a button for gas switches than the Vytec. All the Smart series computers from UWATEC let you set O2 in 1% increments (from 21-100%).

xiSkiGuy:
I don't think we are talking about the same computer. The SmartTEC has as big or bigger a button for gas switches than the Vytec. All the Smart series computers from UWATEC let you set O2 in 1% increments (from 21-100%).
I was thinking of the Pro Ultra I used to use.

Can you use the buttons on the SmartTEC with gloves on? That was a real issue about the Pro Ultra.

Quarrior:
I was thinking of the Pro Ultra I used to use.

Can you use the buttons on the SmartTEC with gloves on? That was a real issue about the Pro Ultra.
The three large push buttons at the top of the SmartTEC handle most inwater functions and are not the bridge contact style used on the face or on the SmartCOM and SmartZ. Very easy to use with gloves.

xiSkiGuy:
The three large push buttons at the top of the SmartTEC handle most inwater functions and are not the bridge contact style used on the face or on the SmartCOM and SmartZ. Very easy to use with gloves.
That's great. I saw those in the manual but wasn't sure if they were buttons.

The O2 and contact thing were the only problems I had with my Pro Ultra. I loved the size of the display and the backlight.

The buttons are easy to use even with thick gloves on.

I've had zero problems with the smarttec.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom