Average depth calculation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nkw5

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
It doesn't seem like many computers figure out your average depth. Or is that because I've been looking in the low end range?

Most people don't think it's relevant, so it's not something they'll include.

Many comnputers do, but the download software does not use the data collected by the computer.

Somebody sells a thrid party program that uses the database information to figure out cool stuff like that. It would be really nice if I could remember the name of the software.

Walter:
What possible use is it?
Plenty of people use average depth for gas planning, deco calculations, etc.

Some agencies even teach it these days.

Walter:
What possible use is it?

I've recently realized I'm fascinated by numbers and statistics. I thought I could figure my SAC more accurately.

jonnythan:
Plenty of people use average depth for gas planning, deco calculations, etc.

Some agencies even teach it these days.

actually I believe only GUE teaches it per say, NAUI teaches RGBM in tech and some (AG) NAUI instructors add it but it is not a NAUI thing. But NAUI instrs are encouraged to go beyond standards.

Best,

Chris

NAUI Tech Instr/Course Director

Walter:
What possible use is it?

SAC calculations.

I personaly can't think of any way to use average depth for gas and deco calcuations. The average depth is only known after the dive is over.....

R..

Well, there are always 2 things you know after a dive, how long the dive was and how much gas you used.

If you add the third variable, the average depth, then you can extrapolate your SAC rate for that particular dive.

Over a period of time, if one has the inclination to do so, one can determine an average SAC rate for a certain type of dive.

Based upon those extrapolated rates, one can determine what size tank one would need to effect a given dive.

the K

Suunto's dive software will use average depth to calculate your sac rate when you input the starting and ending gas pressures. A sensus data recorder will give you average depth for the dive, and also allow you to highlight a section of the dive and give you average depth for that section as well.

I don't know of any bottom timers offhand that give you average depth on the fly, it strikes a memory in my head, but I don't know for sure if it's because I thought it would be cool, or if I actually knew of one that did that at one point in time.

Computers will use your real profile to calculate the gas loading, as opposed to just max depth; but since your computer is doing the calculations for you, it would definitely wouldn't occur to the developers to tell you average depth, since it should be worthless to you since they will assume you have the computer to have it calculate your gas loading for you. [of course it's not worthless information to some of us]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom