1st Computer Purchase. Rent then buy a good idea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skinsfan1311

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm a relatively new diver, strictly warm-water rec diving...nothing crazy...all of my dives have been in rental gear, utilizing gauges and tables.

I'm in the midst of purchasing my first set of gear. I bought the regs, and have decided on a BC. I'm going to purchase gauges, and a nitrox-compatible computer. (I realize some posters may question the logic of gauges and a computer, but that's what I'm gonna do!) That being said.....

There are so many choices out there that it's mind-boggling. I've never used a computer, and would like the experience of using one, to get an idea of how they work.

On an upcoming trip, this summer, the shop rents computers, (wrist mounted Aladdin Pro Nitrox), for around $10.00 a day. Any one have experience, good or bad, renting computers? Good idea? Bad idea? Any hints, tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Fan - here's some advice from one newbie to another. Buy a modest computer now. If you're buying a whole kit you're obviously committed to the sport. So why pay all that rental fee when you're going to buy a computer eventually anyway. In selecting one, I think that unless money is no object the bells and whistles on the computers are just that, as long as it is nitrox. Read the articles and threads to understand the differences (including the algorithms), and then buy.

Since you know to go Nx capable, I don't know what else to add? The "more liberal" computers like Aires and Oceanic are no more liberal than the dive agencies tables, and I am quite happy with my Oceanics. The "more conservative" brands simply allow less dive time than the agency charts, and I've never cared for that. If you want a degree of additional conservatism, the newest Oceanics are adjustable even there.

For a starting point, why not look at the Oceanic VEO180 and others here, compare to the Oceanic Versa Pro which is being replaced with the VEO - a fine computer than can be acquired at a cheaper price, and go from there. :thumb:

If you're doing a multiday multidive trip a computer makes alot of sense, and if you can buy it now I think it makes more sense than renting. Unless you buy the most expensive computer you can find (not neccessary) you'll come out ahead in a few trips and you'll be familiar with it.

I don't see anything wrong with gauges and a computer.

My trips are typically a week long and consist of doing 3-4 2-tanks and a night dive, or two. (as a compromise with my non-diving spouse) I take 2-3 of these trips a year, with the goal of adding another week, or so in the upcoming years.

I'm looking for an idiot-proof, easy to use and read computer, with large graphics. The less bells and whistles, the better. Ideally, I can pull it out of the box, skim through the directions, strap it on, and jump in!

Thanks for the quick, and thoughtful, replies. Keep 'em comin'!!!

EDIT: AND CHEAP!! ~ $300.00 range, or less!

Skinsfan1311:
I'm looking for an idiot-proof, easy to use and read computer, with large graphics. The less bells and whistles, the better.
I do not support that approach. Whatever you get, study the manual well, run Sims, and know exactly what the comp is telling you.
EDIT: AND CHEAP!! ~ $300.00 range, or less!
Oh ok, Versa Pro at ScubaToys.com here

Hey Fan,

IMHO, I would not bother renting computers. Just buy the best that you can afford.

Problem with renting computers is that you really have no understanding of the settings of, and how the computer works. Trying to figure this out, on a boat, heading to a dive site, without a manual can be extremely difficult, if not impossible.

If you purchase your own computer, you have a chance to read and understand the manual, and practice some simulations before you get into the water. Your dives will be much more enjoyable if you really understand the computer you are diving.

With respect to computers, you really can't go wrong out there with the devices available. Personally, for rec dives, I use an Oceanic Versa Pro. Great computer, never failed me, and has a fairly liberal algorithm - I am on the younger side (38), in good shape, and hydrate well before dives. If you want a more conservative computer, look at the Suunto's. Also very good, but conservative, computers.

In either case, if you are serious about diving, and are already diving EANx, purchase your own computer. A good computer is as good as an investment as a good set of regs.

good luck,

Vince...

DandyDon:
I do not support that approach. Whatever you get, study the manual well, run Sims, and know exactly what the comp is telling you.
Oh ok, Versa Pro at ScubaToys.com here

LOL! Little sarcasm in my earlier post..(couldn't find the "sarcasm" smiley)..sorry 'bout that!...if you've read some of my earlier posts...you may notice that I research everything to the Nth degree! I read, and re-read every manual for everything that I've ever purchased! I do appreciate the thought!

Thanks again, for all the great replies!

I assume by renting a computer you mean renting one computer for the whole week. You can't rent a different computer each day, since you still have some residual nitrogen from yesterday's dives, and if the computer was used the day before it would too, but probably not the same amount. Thus its calculations will be off and it may well give you bad advice. By having the same computer for a week, then it's worth reading the manual and really understanding it.

I don't think renting a computer is a bad idea at all. I bought my first dive computer having never used one before, and later decided I hadn't made the right choice, but it was too late then. My regret was not getting air integrated the first time. I like numbers and statistics, and an air integrated computer allows me to accurately record SAC in my log book (yes, I could write down or remember my starting and ending pressure, but I often failed to do that on 2-tank boat dives and then couldn't remember the numbers when back in my hotel room with my logbook).

-Mark

Back
Top Bottom